Thank you for your donation!

Problem: NAS don't show in the library
Hello,

I just setup a new RASPDAC MINI with Moode. It's working fine except I can't access my NAS music library !  Sad 
I tried CIFS and NFS mount type. It's mounted properly, i can browse my library through SSH terminal commands, but Moode UI and library can't see them.

Finaly I just tried UPnP share and it seems working. I am going to check just now. By the way I'd like to be sure and understand.
Any experience and/or explanation of the situation ? Any fix or test to be made ?

Thanks

Olivier
(12-14-2019, 11:01 AM)oliviers92 Wrote: Hello,

I just setup a new RASPDAC MINI with Moode. It's working fine except I can't access my NAS music library !  Sad 
I tried CIFS and NFS mount type. It's mounted properly, i can browse my library through SSH terminal commands, but Moode UI and library can't see them.

Finaly I just tried UPnP share and it seems working. I am going to check just now. By the way I'd like to be sure and understand.
Any experience and/or explanation of the situation ? Any fix or test to be made ?

Thanks

Olivier

Hi, Olivier.

The moOde UI doesn't display the contents of the NAS, it displays the contents of the database built up by MPD as it scans the contents of the NAS. MPD stops scanning if it runs into corrupt metadata.

If, as you say, the NAS is mounted perfectly, e.g., you get the green checkmark under Music Sources in the Library config page, then I suspect this may be your problem.

You can examine the content of the MPD log (/var/log/mpd/log) to see its progress scanning a new source. Here's an excerpt from my player after I added a new NAS

Code:
pi@moode4b: $ tail -f /var/log/mpd/log
Dec 14 07:17 : update: reading NAS/OMV-SMB/World/Ravi Shankar/In London/03 Ravi Shankar - Raga Ramkali.flac
Dec 14 07:17 : update: added NAS/OMV-SMB/World/Ravi Shankar/In London/03 Ravi Shankar - Raga Ramkali.flac
Dec 14 07:17 : update: reading NAS/OMV-SMB/World/Ravi Shankar/In London/01 Ravi Shankar - Raga Hamsadhwani.flac
Dec 14 07:17 : update: added NAS/OMV-SMB/World/Ravi Shankar/In London/01 Ravi Shankar - Raga Hamsadhwani.flac

Depending on the nature of a given track (format, encoding) you may see a very busy log as the track is processed, but you should see every track on your NAS being added.

Unfortunately, it can be hard to find the errant metadata. One possible approach is outlined in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mus...st_startup

Regards,
Kent
(12-14-2019, 12:28 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(12-14-2019, 11:01 AM)oliviers92 Wrote: Hello,

Thanks

Olivier

Hi, Olivier.

The moOde UI doesn't display the contents of the NAS, it displays the contents of the database built up by MPD as it scans the contents of the NAS. MPD stops scanning if it runs into corrupt metadata.

If, as you say, the NAS is mounted perfectly, e.g., you get the green checkmark under Music Sources in the Library config page, then I suspect this may be your problem.

You can examine the content of the MPD log (/var/log/mpd/log) to see its progress scanning a new source. Here's an excerpt from my player after I added a new NAS

Code:
pi@moode4b: $ tail -f /var/log/mpd/log
Dec 14 07:17 : update: reading NAS/OMV-SMB/World/Ravi Shankar/In London/03 Ravi Shankar - Raga Ramkali.flac
Dec 14 07:17 : update: added NAS/OMV-SMB/World/Ravi Shankar/In London/03 Ravi Shankar - Raga Ramkali.flac
Dec 14 07:17 : update: reading NAS/OMV-SMB/World/Ravi Shankar/In London/01 Ravi Shankar - Raga Hamsadhwani.flac
Dec 14 07:17 : update: added NAS/OMV-SMB/World/Ravi Shankar/In London/01 Ravi Shankar - Raga Hamsadhwani.flac

Depending on the nature of a given track (format, encoding) you may see a very busy log as the track is processed, but you should see every track on your NAS being added.

Unfortunately, it can be hard to find the errant metadata. One possible approach is outlined in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mus...st_startup

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent,

Thanks very much for your quick answer,

I am afraid you might be right. Even with the UPnP Share mode the library seems uncomplete and some songs are listed as duplicates.
Concerning the log file, it looks like something wrong too.

Code:
pi@moode:/mnt/NAS/NASOS/flac/Artistes/Eddy_Mitchell/Panorama $ tail -f /var/log/mpd/log
Dec 14 13:46 : ffmpeg/matroska,webm: EBML header parsing failed
Dec 14 14:08 : exception: std::bad_alloc
Dec 14 14:08 : exception: std::bad_alloc

This is very odd to me because I am tagging my songs with MusicBrainz Picard and using song library with KODI without trouble since years.

What would be next move ?

Thanks again

Olivier
@oliviers92

As for the error messages, your log file snippet doesn't include the name of the file being processed. Is it by any chance a .mkv file? (This is just a guess based on a little web-sleuthing of the error messages plus your mention of KODI.) 

As a precaution, if your NAS is hosting video as well as audio material, you may wish to block MPD from scanning the video material. From the MPD user's manual

Quote:To exclude a file from the update, create a file called .mpdignore in its parent directory. Each line of that file may contain a list of shell wildcards. Matching files in the current directory and all subdirectories are excluded.

Assuming the presence of video material is the issue, it's possible this will be enough to make your 'missing' tracks reappear. If not, then you're in for a bit of a hunt to find out why specific tracks are missing. I certainly can't fault MusicBrainz Picard. I've used it on occasion myself.

Regards,
Kent
@TheOldPresbyope, You are right again !

As I use the UPnP mode I don't point to the specific music share but the whole multimedia data base from the Synology multimedia server.

So I did create a .mpdignore file in the Video folder with following text :

*.mp4,*.mkv,*.avi

Indexation is on progress. Hope it will be OK.

Thanks again

Olivier
@oliviers92

I try to be right more often than I'm wrong, but some days that's a struggle.  Tongue

Regards,
Kent
(12-14-2019, 05:24 PM)oliviers92 Wrote: @TheOldPresbyope, You are right again !

As I use the UPnP mode I don't point to the specific music share but the whole multimedia data base from the Synology multimedia server.

So I did create a .mpdignore file in the Video folder with following text :

*.mp4,*.mkv,*.avi

Indexation is on progress. Hope it will be OK.

Thanks again

Olivier

It might be a good idea to have this in the install how-to? I keep my music on a completely different share than my video's but I can imagine more people will only have one share.