Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Volume is glitchy when increased quickly
I'm using an IR remote to control my volume and when I increase it quickly (by holding volume+ button or by scrolling the wheel up) it doesn't change smoothly. It can jump back to, say, 5% on the way up and continue from there, or sometimes it just cuts off the sound for a moment (while increasing the volume) without going to a lower value.
It doesn't happen when I increase the volume slowly in 5% steps by pressing the volume+ button multiple times.
It doesn't happen if I use "mpc volume +5" instead of  "/var/www/vol.sh up 5".
It never happens when decreasing volume.

I guess it's somehow related to the behavior of volume control in web ui, where it only lets you increase volume in 10% steps (which I find a bit annoying)?

moOde 6.4.0
@waffle

Old vaudeville joke (think the Marx brothers routines, for instance) -
Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this.
Doctor: So don't do that.

But seriously, my guess is you are in effect "flooding" the system by holding the volume button down. This might be confusing the routine which decodes the IR-pulses and converts them to commands and/or confusing the code which responds to the commands.

If you look at the code in /var/www/vol.sh you'll see that a number of tests and database operations are done before mpc is invoked. That's necessary to keep the UI and MPD volume settings in sync, provide a memory of current volume setting, etc.

As I said, this is a guess.

Regarding an asymmetry between volume up and volume down, I expect that's because the 10%-step "regulator" is in effect only for volume up. Tim's not available for the time being to explain his coding decisions. I'll hazard another guess that the regulator was introduced so that users didn't inadvertently drive their system to 100 percent volume with consequential physical damages.

As an aside, I see 51 mentions of "volume" in the relnotes.txt file. All sorts of issues and fixes have occurred over the years.

Regards,
Kent
I had those kind of problems with my IR remote, so i enabled UPNP volume sync feature, it's way better that way with my installation:

Code:
sudo sqlite3 /var/local/www/db/moode-sqlite3.db "UPDATE cfg_system SET value='32703' WHERE param='feat_bitmask'"
sudo reboot

Only for 6.4.
(12-20-2019, 06:37 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: But seriously, my guess is you are in effect "flooding" the system by holding the volume button down. This might be confusing the routine which decodes the IR-pulses and converts them to commands and/or confusing the code which responds to the commands.
My first thought. But the fact that volume down works fine proves that it's not the case.
(12-20-2019, 06:37 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: I'll hazard another guess that the regulator was introduced so that users didn't inadvertently drive their system to 100 percent volume with consequential physical damages.
Yeah, it's obvious to me why it works like that. The problem is, this should only apply when the volume is controlled via the web ui.
Also, this is not a very common behaviour for a volume control, IMO there should be an option to disable it.

(12-20-2019, 07:13 PM)TookaFace Wrote: I had those kind of problems with my IR remote, so i enabled UPNP volume sync feature, it's way better that way with my installation:
Thank you! Now it works like a charm
@waffle

Volume up and volume down are two different cases, but whatever. I've never looked at the UPnP volume sync code. Glad to hear it did the trick for you in a use I wouldn't have guessed (thanks, @TookaFace). Another entry onto my stack of things to learn; a stack which increasingly is FINO---first in, never out.

All users are free to petition Tim with feature requests...and we do! Those with a well-stated use case, actual code, and an associated github pull request are likeliest to get consideration. As with all of us, his time is limited and he's dividing it between squashing bugs, adding new features, accommodating new hardware, and helping users. Yikes!

Let's all remember to show our support. 

Regards,
Kent
Im not sure if its a moOde problem, even with mpc i had strange results, like when i did mpc volume 80 for example, mpd volume was not set to 80, but to 78 or 82 for example.

Maybe more a driver problem, but since i kinda solved/reduced my problem with UPNP feature i didn't really digged more.

My DAC: Audiophonic RaspdacMini (ES9038Q2M) with hardware volume.

Next time i will try with the iso from Audiophonics to be sure