Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: External HDD problem
Hi I use RPi 4B 4GB with Allo Boss chinese clone DAC. I have old Sata 2.5" 350GB drive with generic USB 2.0 enclosure with extra USB pług for additional power. Problem is that drive show up only when library is updated, after reboot not show up, there is no way to play music. I tested USB 2.0&3.0 port with same results.

Thanks for any help and Merry Xmass.
Your best bet is to get a modern, worry-free SSD because there is probably a compatibility issue with your old drive or SATA interface in the enclosure.

Btw, I took the liberty of deleting your other post which was a duplicate of this one.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
@dwadi84

I don't disagree with what Tim said, but I'm wondering about this statement from your post:

Quote:I have old Sata 2.5" 350GB drive with generic USB 2.0 enclosure with extra USB pług for additional power.

If both USB plugs from the enclosure are connected to USB ports on your RPi, then it's possible you're trying to draw too much power from the RPi. You might try a powered USB hub between the enclosure and the RPi.

Still, an SSD is a nice solution.

Regards,
Kent
(12-26-2019, 03:59 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @dwadi84

I don't disagree with what Tim said, but I'm wondering about this statement from your post:

Quote:I have old Sata 2.5" 350GB drive with generic USB 2.0 enclosure with extra USB pług for additional power.

If both USB plugs from the enclosure are connected to USB ports on your RPi, then it's possible you're trying to draw too much power from the RPi. You might try a powered USB hub between the enclosure and the RPi.

Regards,
Kent

+1 (strongly agree on the use of a dedicated powered USB hub)

Btw... can you share a link to the "ALLO BOSS clone"...?
@dwadi84

It may be having the seperate power USB on the enclosure is the issue.

I run a 2TB Seagate HDD off of a Pi3B using a cheap single USB connector enclosure (it ran off a Pi2B before that).

I'd suggest checking the boot up power requirement of the drive is within limits and then look at getting new enclosure for it.
(12-26-2019, 06:40 AM)CallMeMike Wrote:

Regards,
Kent

I ordered new USB 3.0 enclosure.

I use this DAC - https://a.aliexpress.com/totv1DXw 
(12-26-2019, 10:56 PM)dwadi84 Wrote:
(12-26-2019, 06:40 AM)CallMeMike Wrote:

Regards,
Kent

I ordered new USB 3.0 enclosure.

Excelent move Exclamation

I use this DAC - https://a.aliexpress.com/totv1DXw 

Thanks for the link. This master two clock master DAC is nothing like the BOSS visually but it does not mean that it may not be a good PCM5122 implementation. The WIMA film capacitors 'spread' is impressive nevertheless plus an added HP OUT jack... Is there any supercapacitor 'hanging' on the other side of the board like on the BOSS DAC...?
Hi now I use USB 3.0 enclosure - and same result after end of scan USB drive is not present (only present is library from SD)

I added USB 3.0 powered HUB - with 5v 1a supply - same results like without it - on USB 2.0 port /USB 3.0 port.

Scanning gives red light on enclousre - partition format exfat (formated in Mac)
Try posting on the Raspberry Pi Linux issue list.
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(01-16-2020, 12:19 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Try posting on the Raspberry Pi Linux issue list.
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues

I do not know what it is probably driver or disk, next month I will buy some branded 2.5" disk. And maybe today I report my isues to github. Thanks.

[EDIT] Not success with 2.5" drive, back to 3.5"