Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

FLAC Embedded Album Covers
@leicray

This a moot issue since as you note moOde 6.2 is able to display the previously missing coverart.

However, for the benefit of others, here's what was going on:
  • vinyl LPs were digitized using Vinyl Studio.
  • Vinyl Studio saved the digital tracks as FLAC files, filling in the metadata from lookups on the Internet
A file was made available to me. Examining it using the CLI tool metaflac reveals that the Vinyl Studio developers had a curious way of interpreting the FLAC specification. They embedded the downloaded coverart twice
  • once among the comments in a FLAC block type VORBIS_COMMENT, with the comment-field name METADATA_BLOCK_PICTURE and base64 encoded image data in the comment-field value (may have been uuencode rather than base64 data, didn't bother to check)
  • once in a FLAC block type METADATA_BLOCK_PICTURE with jpeg data and appropriate picture metadata.
The first embedding is allowed by the permissive FLAC spec but not mentioned. It's bogus as far as the expectations of almost any FLAC-aware software is concerned. The second embedding is explicitly correct per the FLAC spec.

It doesn't take a multiple-transcoding process to "fix" the FLAC file. The CLI tool metaflac can do the surgery required:

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ metaflac --remove-tag=METADATA_BLOCK_PICTURE xxx.flac

et voilà !

Regards,
Kent
Hi,

I ended up using TagScanner which fixed all the Flac files and when adding new tracks, this goes out, gets the image and records it in the Flac file correctly (without converting to Alac then back to Flac).

Havent had any issues since.

I'm now on the latest Moode and still all is OK.
Pi 4B 2GB, HiFi Berry Digi+, Original 7" Raspberry Pi Screen, Ethernet Connected, Sandisk Ultra10 SD card, 5amp power supply (Drives the PI and Screen separately) streaming audio via NFS shares from QNAP NAS.
Thanks for that.

I would imagine TagScanner, Mp3tag, and similar GUI-based programs can fix this problem. I'm not so sure they'd reveal its existence, though. If you like 'em, use 'em. I'm just a Linux dinosaur who likes one-line fixes from the CLI.

I've tested both these MSWindows-based programs in the past. They install and run fine in Wine on my Linux workstation (I use the Wine-helper app PlayOnLinux).

Regards,
Kent