Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Attached USB acces right on network
Hi,

I use Moode on a rpi4 with an attached USB HDD containing my files.
How can i get access to this HDD trought the network with my computer to add or remove files without unplugged it from the rpi ?

i tried with filezilla and pi access, but i have denied permission return.

Thanks for the help.

Regards.
So long as you have the SSH service enabled in Moode's system settings Filezilla should be able to access the filesystem over scp authenticating as the "pi" user.

You haven't said what OS you're accessing the Pi from but I'm guessing Windows if you're drawn to Filezilla, in that case I'd recommend WinSCP in single window mode, a bit more drag 'n drop than the FTP-client style interface of Filezilla.
I use WinSCP from my Windows 10 computer.
(02-12-2020, 06:30 PM)vinnn Wrote: So long as you have the SSH service enabled in Moode's system settings Filezilla should be able to access the filesystem over scp authenticating as the "pi" user.

You haven't said what OS you're accessing the Pi from but I'm guessing Windows if you're drawn to Filezilla, in that case I'd recommend WinSCP in single window mode, a bit more drag 'n drop than the FTP-client style interface of Filezilla.

Well to be more specific, i'm under Debian Buster.
I can access to the root directory with filezilla using pi user access.
But when i try to upload files in /media/myusb i have a permission denied.

Do you suggest to enable something about SSH more than the basic access in moode ?

Thanks.
(02-12-2020, 08:12 PM)a491765 Wrote: Well to be more specific, i'm under Debian Buster.
I can access to the root directory with filezilla using pi user access.
But when i try to upload files in /media/myusb i have a permission denied.

Do you suggest to enable something about SSH more than the basic access in moode ?

Thanks.

Is it mounted read only?
If you setup the mount in Moode's music sources then there's a field for mount options when you edit the source. If it has the "ro" option then change "ro" to "rw", save and remount to make read-write.

If it's slready mounted read-write then you may have to fix the ownership and/or permissions on your files.
(02-12-2020, 10:49 PM)vinnn Wrote: Is it mounted read only?
If you setup the mount in Moode's music sources then there's a field for mount options when you edit the source. If it has the "ro" option then change "ro" to "rw", save and remount to make read-write.

If it's slready mounted read-write then you may have to fix the ownership and/or permissions on your files.

I have no music source added in moode option, the usb is directly attached to the pi running moode. So the usb is automatic source detected and mounted.

I see that the owner for /medi/myusb is root i tried : sudo chown -R pi:pi /media/myusb but permission denied too.

The simple way will be to have the root access from filezilla. What is the root password ?
(02-13-2020, 07:11 AM)a491765 Wrote: I have no music source added  in moode option, the usb is directly attached to the pi running moode. So the usb is automatic source detected and mounted.

I see that the owner for /medi/myusb is root i tried : sudo chown -R pi:pi /media/myusb but permission denied too.

The simple way will be to have the root access from filezilla. What is the root password ?

Is see, I've not used a local USB drive with Moode so didn't realize these don't show in the music sources after mounting.
Logging in as root is not a solution as you can potentially create files and directories that other users (like the mpd user) can't read thus perpetuating your permissions issues.
The simplest solution is to just fix the permissions on your files (if need be) which were presumably put there using another computer.

So the ownership of the mount point (/media/myusb) is not that relevent if the filesystem is mounted read-write and the mount point permissions is world writable.
You can see the effective mount options on your mounted filesystem by running;

Code:
mount | grep media

... you should be able to see an ro or an rw in the output which denotes being mounted as a read-only or read-write filesystem.
The automounting is handled by udevil which also determines the default mount options depending on what type of filesystem is on a connected disk.

To assist you further, run the following and post the output...

Code:
mount | grep media
ls -ld /media/myusb
ls -l /media/myusb
Try mounting the Samba Sharepoint that moOde creates. The default and USB sharepoints are described in the Setup Guide.
https://github.com/moode-player/moode/bl.../setup.txt

Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/myusb
sudo mount -t cifs //moode/myusb -o username="Guest",password="" /mnt/myusb
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(02-13-2020, 12:43 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Try mounting the Samba Sharepoint that moOde creates. The default and USB sharepoints are described in the Setup Guide.
https://github.com/moode-player/moode/bl.../setup.txt

Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/myusb
sudo mount -t cifs //moode/myusb -o username="Guest",password="" /mnt/myusb

I don't really understand how it works but it did !
Thanks both for your help.