Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: DACBerry ONE+ TOSLINK input
Hello everybody! I recently bought a DACBerry ONE+ for my Raspberry Pi. The reason why I chose this particular HAT was because it has a TOSLINK input. The idea behind that was that I can use the DAC / MoOde setup for my local music collection plus internet radio and chromecast audio for my Spotify (my girlfriend likes talking to google home to voice control Spotify). The raspberry is hooked up to an old stereo amplifier

In the audio config screen there aren't any dedicated I2S audio profiles for DACBerry ONE+ and the advice has been to use HiFiBerry DAC+ profile. This works fine for Local (MPD) source, however I can't select digital input options. I have tried other I2S profiles but without any luck. 

My MoOde release is the latest one available 6.4.2. 

Two questions:
- Does anybody know if a I2S profile is in development for the DACBerry ONE+
- Is there an alternative I2S profile which would enable me to select the Toslink input?

many thanks!
@IcyScooby

I found a mention on the LibreElec site that this board uses the iqaudio-digi-wm8804-audio overlay. This overlay is present in moOde's /boot/overlays directory and installed when "IQaudIO Pi-Digi+" is chosen as the I2S audio device.

Give it a try.

Regards,
Kent
Thanks for the tip. I tried that but the following message appears:

Quote:MPD error
Failed to open "ALSA default" (alsa); Failed to open ALSA device "hw:0,0": No such file or directory

I am no expert, but does the fact that the PCM5142 acts as Master device and the WM8804 as slave?
I would think the manufacturer of this board would have information on which driver to use or how its inputs are switched.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Thanks, I will give that a try and see what their feedback is.
I've got a DACBerry ONE as well for exactly this purpose. I can't get it to work either. I've not had any response from OSA Electronics about how to get it to work. It is a lovely board for just using the analogue output but the whole digital side seems to not have any software that enables it. I wish I'd researched more before buying now.
----------------
Robert
I got a reply from OSAElectronics which says this:
Quote:Actually, there is a driver on hold, but it will be son available.

Could you please, give a try to this?

Via command line, edit the config.txt file:

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

Replace the iqaudio overlay by:

dtoverlay=justboom-both

This will enable both chips on the ONE board. And you will be able to see the digital input. Depending the software you are using, you will be able to select it.

I am working closely with Volumio to re-route it to analog output, because the only way now I think is to create a pipe between aplay and arecord.
I had low hopes of the edit to config.txt and was not suprised to find it didn't work. I just got an MPD error becasue it couldn't open the default ALSA device.
I guess we have to either wait for the "on hold" driver to be available "soon", or that the method they are working on for Volumio will be suitable for moOde as well.
I dabbled with Volumio for a while to see if this board worked as I wanted with them and had to take out a trial of the Superstar plan that cost 70 euros a year(!) just to enable the menu option to see if other inputs were available.  I don't want sound from my telly that much.

@IcyScooby Did you ever get any response to your query with OSAElectronics?
----------------
Robert
(03-10-2020, 05:54 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I would think the manufacturer of this board would have information on which driver to use or how its inputs are switched.

(06-04-2020, 06:35 PM)the_bertrum Wrote: I got a reply from OSAElectronics which says this:

dtoverlay=justboom-both

This will enable both chips on the ONE board. And you will be able to see the digital input. Depending the software you are using, you will be able to select it.

I am working closely with Volumio to re-route it to analog output, because the only way now I think is to create a pipe between aplay and arecord.
I had low hopes of the edit to config.txt and was not suprised to find it didn't work. I just got an MPD error becasue it couldn't open the default ALSA device.
I guess we have to either wait for the "on hold" driver to be available "soon", or that the method they are working on for Volumio will be suitable for moOde as well.
I dabbled with Volumio for a while to see if this board worked as I wanted with them and had to take out a trial of the Superstar plan that cost 70 euros a year(!) just to enable the menu option to see if other inputs were available.  I don't want sound from my telly that much.

Unfortunately I never got a response to my emails. So am I glad to hear they replied to you, but a shame to hear their idea didn't work for now. I too tried Volumio's superstar plan (free trial), but that didn't work either.
(06-15-2020, 10:24 AM)IcyScooby Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 05:54 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I would think the manufacturer of this board would have information on which driver to use or how its inputs are switched.

(06-04-2020, 06:35 PM)the_bertrum Wrote: I got a reply from OSAElectronics which says this:

dtoverlay=justboom-both

Unfortunately I never got a response to my emails. So am I glad to hear they replied to you, but a shame to hear their idea didn't work for now. I too tried Volumio's superstar plan (free trial), but that didn't work either.

Hello, you could maybe try it with the setting dtoverlay = hifiberry-dacplus
(06-15-2020, 10:44 AM)Cardone Wrote: Hello, you could maybe try it with the setting dtoverlay = hifiberry-dacplus

No dice I'm afraid, nothing on the digital inputs and the MPD gives an unknown device ALSA error. From what I can tell with my limited knowledge and the few places where I can find this board discussed, it is set up such that the I2S input is fed through one of the DAC chips and out to the Phono output, while the digital input is fed through the other DAC chip and out to the digital output. For what purpose that would be I can't fathom.
----------------
Robert