Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: iPad connected via Bluetooth but no sound?
Hi all

I'm wanting to stream music from my iPad to Moode 6.3 via Bluetooth if possible. I've managed to get the iPad connected to Moode via Bluetooth without difficulty. The Moode play screen says "Bluetooth connected" and BlueZ says connected to my iPad and that MPD output is "local". The iPad's music play screen and the BBC Sounds app both show the output as "Moode Bluetooth" but there is no sound from Moode. I tried restarting the BT service and rebooting the whole thing to no avail.

Both iOS apps show that music is playing to Moode Bluetooth, and if I disconnect the devices sounds play from the iPad no problem.

What am I missing please?

Moode 6.3.0 (I think, I can't find an "about" to be sure - check update says update 6.3.0 to 6.4.0 available)
Raspberry Pi 3B
iOS 12.4.5
iPad Mini 2 and iPhone 6 (both behave the same)

Thanks!
Richard
How are you controlling volume?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Hi Tim

On Moode by the standard software method i.e. no on-screen volume control, 100% output. The iPad volume is set to maximum. If it's playing music, as soon as I disconnect from Moode I hear it via the iPad speakers.
I just ran quick test from my iPad Mini and no issues with either 6.4.2 or upcoming 6.5.0.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Thanks Mig_36 and Tim, I'll try a reinstall tomorrow using a fresh image download. I'll report then.
Brand new SD card, fresh download and install of Moode 6.4.2. Bluetooth doesn't connect. A scan shows up the iPad and iPhone but any attempt at pairing or connecting causes Moode to hang with just a "reconnect" message and I have to cycle the power in order to restart. I put the old Moode 6.3.0 card back in and BT connects easily. I have double checked all the config settings in both are identical.

I am no expert on Bluetooth, I've only ever used it to connect my phone to my car's ICE so I don't really understand the nuts and bolts of it. What settings should I be using in Moode? At present under Audio settings, BT is ON, pairing agent is ON, speaker sharing OFF, Resume MPD NO. In BlueZ Config I first scan for devices which takes 20-30 seconds and may or may not result in both devices showing in the list. MPD output is LOCAL. Initiating a connection from the iPhone gives "connection unsuccessful". Moode 6.3.0 connects OK so I guess the hardware must be OK.

Any ideas please?
(03-16-2020, 05:13 PM)otto52 Wrote: ...
I am no expert on Bluetooth, I've only ever used it to connect my phone to my car's ICE so I don't really understand the nuts and bolts of it. What settings should I be using in Moode?  At present under Audio settings, BT is ON, pairing agent is ON, speaker sharing OFF, Resume MPD NO. In BlueZ Config I first scan for devices which takes 20-30 seconds and may or may not result in both devices showing in the list. MPD output is LOCAL. Initiating a connection from the iPhone gives "connection unsuccessful". Moode 6.3.0 connects OK so I guess the hardware must be OK.

Any ideas please?

I just fired up a 6.4.2 player (on an RPi4B):

- turned on the BT renderer
- turned on the pairing agent [1]

On my iPad,

- turned on Bluetooth
- watched the "Other devices" spinner do its thing until "Moode Bluetooth" appeared
- selected it to connect with it

Done and dusted.

Regards,
Kent

[1] the helpful info popup says "The pairing agent automatically accepts incoming pairing/connect requests from clients and eliminates the need to perform a manual SCAN from the BlueZ screen."
Thnks Kent, that's what I did but it doesn't work - the phone says "Connection unsuccessful" and under "My Dvices" Moode Bluetooth remains Not Connected. It works on 6.3.0. This beats me! I reflashed 6.4.2 using Win32 Disk Imager instead of Balena Etcher, no change.

The only difference is I'm using an RPi3B.
Well, there is good news and bad news. The bad news is that I can't get 6.4.2 to work at all; the good is that 6.3.0 is actually working OK. The original "no sound" issue has proved to be a poor connection. I hadn't realised that Bluetooth is a very short range / low power system. My RPi is housed in a HiFiBerry steel case which works fine on wifi but seems to attenuate a Bluetooth signal too much. Doh! I feel a bit silly now, but at least I've learned something.

I shall wait for 6.5 rather than trying to fix 6.4.2, and find a different housing. Pity, because the HiFiBerry one is smart.

Thanks / regards
Richard
(03-16-2020, 09:32 PM)otto52 Wrote: Well, there is good news and bad news. The bad news is that I can't get 6.4.2 to work at all; the good is that 6.3.0 is actually working OK. The original "no sound" issue has proved to be a poor connection. I hadn't realised that Bluetooth is a very short range / low power system. My RPi is housed in a HiFiBerry steel case which works fine on wifi but seems to attenuate a Bluetooth signal too much. Doh! I feel a bit silly now, but at least I've learned something.

I shall wait for 6.5 rather than trying to fix 6.4.2, and find a different housing. Pity, because the HiFiBerry one is smart.

Thanks / regards
Richard

Being an Apple device you could use Airplay instead no?