Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Can no longer resolve Moode.local on my W10 pc
Question 
I use a tablet to control Moode and my PC is an Intel NUC which uses an Ethernet connection could always resolve the Moode.local address. Since a windows 10 update and Firefox update , i can no longer resolve Moode.audio. I use a static IP address o I have a scanner and I can find the address. Any ideas? IE and Edge do not work either.
(03-15-2020, 11:41 PM)Lizard_King Wrote: I use a tablet to control Moode and my PC is an Intel NUC which uses an Ethernet connection could always resolve the Moode.local address. Since a windows 10 update and Firefox update , i can no longer resolve Moode.audio. I use a static IP address o I have a scanner and I can find the address. Any ideas? IE and Edge do not work either.

It's not clear whether you control Moode via TWO devices, a tablet (OS ?) and a WIN 10 PC. Can you test with a third device?

Before making any changes or tests re-boot your router...
I use both, an Ipad Ios 12a and a Intel Nuc W10.
Just checking that you're using moode.local and not what you've posted (Moode.local) ??
----------
bob
@Lizard_King

You said

Quote:Since a windows 10 update and Firefox update , i can no longer resolve Moode.audio.

First, I assume you mean "moode.local" here. There's no .audio top-level domain.

Second, I think it would be appropriate to ask your question on a Windows-oriented forum. 

Using the .local top-level domain in a fully qualified host name is the standard indication that multicast DNS (mDNS) is supposed to be used to resolve the host name into an IP address.  There's a nice Wikipedia discussion of mDNS.

If mDNS has stopped working on your Windows 10 host, then someone competent with Windows 10 will have to explain why. 

Regards,
Kent
I just accessed it successfully on my mac mini which i uses OS X Mojave , I tried both Firefox ans safari and they can access Moode.local. Why has my Windows 19 PC stopped as it used to access it?
(03-22-2020, 03:22 AM)Lizard_King Wrote: I just accessed it successfully on my mac mini which i uses OS X Mojave , I tried both Firefox ans safari and they can access Moode.local. Why has my Windows 19 PC stopped as it used to access it?

My W10 v1909 PC does not connect to the two RPI running now (2 and 3A+) with any browser on the address http://moode  or http://moode.local but it DOES connect if I substitute 'moodeXYZ' with the IP address of the said RPi devices. I do not know when this connectivity quirk has started as I've connected to MoOde RPi via the allocated IP address or fixed IP address for a long time.

Is the problem on your W10 PC still ocurring on any browser you use regardless the connection link syntax (name or IP address) ? If now it's only happening on Firefox only I recommend resetting the browser or, if you don't want to lose any settings, cached data, etc) download Waterfox which works very similarly to Firefox as it based on the Mozilla platform.
(03-22-2020, 06:01 AM)CallMeMike Wrote:
(03-22-2020, 03:22 AM)Lizard_King Wrote: I just accessed it successfully on my mac mini which i uses OS X Mojave , I tried both Firefox ans safari and they can access Moode.local. Why has my Windows 19 PC stopped as it used to access it?

My W10 v1909 PC does not connect to the two RPI running now (2 and 3A+) with any browser on the address http://moode  or http://moode.local but it DOES connect if I substitute 'moodeXYZ' with the IP address of the said RPi devices. I do not know when this connectivity quirk has started as I've connected to MoOde RPi via the allocated IP address or fixed IP address for a long time.

Is the problem on your W10 PC still ocurring on any browser you use regardless the connection link syntax (name or IP address) ? If now it's only happening on Firefox only I recommend resetting the browser or, if you don't want to lose any settings, cached data, etc) download Waterfox which works very similarly to Firefox as it based on the Mozilla platform.

Yes, the Windows 10 update seems to have broken DNS for Windows boxes..
https://www.technorms.com/60731/troubles...-10-update
----------
bob
I'm not a Windows hater but I do think the inmates have taken over the asylum in Redmond. I can't keep track of their updates these days but, seriously, this is a Windows issue, not a moOde or even a Linux issue.

.local ==> mDNS, not DNS is the intended resolver. 

Apple was an early player in developing mDNS (calling their implementation Bonjour, first shipped in 2002!) while Microsoft didn't get around to implementing it until Windows 10 (ca 2017). I guess they're still trying to get it approximately right.

The open-source implementation of mDNS is called Avahi. It's baked into moOde via Raspbian.

You can search the web to find various HOWTOs on driving a stake through the Microsoft implementation and installing Bonjour (instead) or you can find Windows forums to discuss what happened with your update.

Regards,
Kent
winblows fault I am sure.