Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Building library taking too long?
Installing MoOde for the first time after using Volumio.  "Config - library - create music source" found my NAS through my router (Green check mark next to "XXXNAS (SYNOLOGYROUTER)") and I have a spinner in the upper right hand corner.  I assumed this spinner means that the library is being cataloged.  So far, all this is the same as when I loaded Volumio. 

I have about 3.8 TB of music on my NAS.  Updating via an ethernet 100 MBS connection. 

The problem is that it's been over 40 hours.  This seems really excessive.  Volumio did the task in probably 30 hours. 

Is this too long?   My NAS folder structure includes a \music directory, but this is not shown on Library Config - Music Sources, is this the problem?  Any insight is appreciated.
To troubleshoot examine the MPD log to see if there are any errors or if database update is still running.

Code:
tail -f /var/log/mpd/log
cat /var/log/mpd/log

How many tracks in your collection? moOde is not designed for huge 100K track collections and will likely function poorly particularly in the Library Tag and Album views, search, auto-shuffle, generating cover thumbnails, etc.

Note that comparing players is useless in trying to troubleshoot moOde issues because there are far too many differences between one player and another. The best way to troubleshoot is to provide good information and context and most importantly a list of steps that can be used by others to reproduce the issue. Once the issue can be repro'd it can potentially be addressed.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
That does seem too long. My collection is around 3TB & an ever-growimg 90000 tracks and a new Moode install takes around 5-6 hours to generate the library from scratch to completion on a Pi3.

Remember both Volumio and Moode uae the mpd player and library so there should be no difference in that respect, maybe the issue is a slow SD card or a network latency problem.
Tim and Vinn, thanks for your responses.

I am currently at around 69K files.

I have tried listing my NAS differently (skipping the router in the list of music sources) and the drive mounted just fine, so I'm doing a re-scan right now.
(03-16-2020, 03:30 PM)vinnn Wrote: That does seem too long. My collection is around 3TB & an ever-growimg 90000 tracks and a new Moode install takes around 5-6 hours to generate the library from scratch to completion on a Pi3.

Remember both Volumio and Moode uae the mpd player and library so there should be no difference in that respect, maybe the issue is a slow SD card or a network latency problem.

Thats a good success case. How do Library Tag and Album views perform?

Note there are big differences between major versions of MPD for example 0.20.y and 0.21.y. Same will be true for 0.21.y and the upcoming 0.22.y. The MPD maintainer generally only provides support for latest production release which is currently 0.21.20. This is another reason why comparing different players that are based on different versions of MPD is not really beneficial to troubleshooting.

I agree that the OP's issue is probably something external to moOde software but more info is needed.
Enjoy the Music!
(03-16-2020, 03:58 PM)Thram345 Wrote: Tim and Vinn, thanks for your responses.  

I am currently at around 69K files.

I have tried listing my NAS differently (skipping the router in the list of music sources) and the drive mounted just fine, so I'm doing a re-scan right now.

IIRC there are several moOde users with collections in the 50K range and performance has been reported to be good. 

What model Pi?
What is the Pi Ethernet port connected to? (A dedicated switch, Integrated Router switch, Other).
What NAS device?
How is NAS connected to network?
Any power line adapters or intermediate switches?

Some troubleshooting approaches:

1. Monitor the MPD log while performing a database re-gen to get a sense of how much time is taken to scan a track
tail -f /var/log/mpd/log

2. Run a 30 second ping test between the Pi and your NAS and then examine the ping stats for packet loss, dropped packets, super long round trip times, etc.

3. Run the ifconfig command and examine the stats for errors

4. Burn a fresh image to a different known good SDCard.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
Tim, thanks for your response. I did in fact get it fixed. I had to enter the host/share setting manually as all the paths available in the drop down after a scan did not include the shared resource. They succeeded in mounting the drive but not finding the shared folders.

In fact, it cataloged my 69K files in under 2 hours, which I consider excellent.

Now if I could only get it to play! Time to tweak the audio settings.

Tom
(03-16-2020, 04:36 PM)control surface is a Tim Curtis Wrote: Thats a good success case. How do Library Tag and Album views perform?

Note there are big differences between major versions of MPD for example 0.20.y and 0.21.y. Same will be true for 0.21.y and the upcoming 0.22.y. The MPD maintainer generally only provides support for latest production release which is currently 0.21.20. This is another reason why comparing different players that are based on different versions of MPD is not really beneficial to troubleshooting.

I agree that the OP's issue is probably something external to moOde software but more info is needed.

The control surface is usually an Android tablet or my phone (Samsung Galaxy S9), the tablet can struggle a bit sometimes in tag view but generally OK, not snappy but useable. The phone handles the switching between views much better.
The Pi is fine of course just whatever runs the client web browser needs some guts.

I've taken to editing playerlib.js to set UI.tagViewCovers to false which improves the responsiveness of the tag view significantly as removing the little album covers in the tag view's album list means there's a lot less complexity to render as I described here.

Would be nice if that was a toggle in the appearance options or something in 6.5.0. Wink
We've got u covered :-)

Enjoy the Music!
Thumbs Up 
(03-16-2020, 07:12 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: We've got u covered :-)

That's awesome, cheers Big Grin