Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

MoodeAudio on Orange Pi (Zero)?
Hi

Is there a way to install Moode on an Orange Pi (or Orange Pi Zero)?

Stefan
(03-21-2020, 12:56 PM)steeflemmens Wrote: Hi

Is there a way to install Moode on an Orange Pi (or Orange Pi Zero)?

Stefan

Of course. Just start with the build recipe and make the changes necessary to build and run successfully on an Orange Pi. 

What might those changes be? Haven't a clue, but back when we were still using a single thread on diyAudio.com as our forum, a user reported he had managed to get a much earlier version working on his Orange Pi, sort of.  You can search the moOde Audio thread there.

Similarly, I ported an earlier version of moOde to a Cubox-i4pro several years ago as an exercise. Enough of it worked for me to feel I had earned my merit badge, but I wouldn't do it again. The current RPi is cheap, ubiquitous, fully capable, and enormously well supported. The Cubox-i sits in a box of forgotten toys, both literally and figuratlvely.

Keep in mind you are on your own here. Even if you get it to work, you'll have to repeat your steps every time there's a major new release of moOde.

Regards,
Kent
@steeflemmens - I would try to boot with a stock r642 image and see what happens. I remember from years past when as Kent mentioned we were supporting moOde in the diyAudio thread that I added the revision code for the OrangePi to the sources so maybe it will just work.

If it doesn't work and you are able to determine what needs to be modified to get it to work then feel free to submit a PR to the moOde Git repo and it will be reviewed. Be sure to include good documentation in the PR so we don't have to go fishing through sources and diffs to figure out what it does.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
It would be cool if "just try it" is successful. After posting, I searched the web and found several sources which claimed Raspbian will boot on an Orange Pi. That's half the battle.

Regards,
Kent
Hello, maybe it is time to revive this thread. I would b interested in trying this. I can see that one option could be to install the moOde user space on an Orange Pi linux installation. Another one to just try with the 8.2.5 image.

I understand that there are changes in kernel modules, but I wonder how critical they are. 

I just need an excuse to pull the trigger on a new toy ;-)
You don’t need permission to pull that trigger. Just don’t point the weapon at us (or your foot) Tongue

My own answer to this kind of question is always the same. Some of moOde can be ported to a foreign ARM board and OS “fairly” easily. Some of moOde will require a complete rewrite. You won’t know which is which until you’re well into it. 

I know of 4 attempts on various SBCs of which 3 are my own. Getting the mpd/alsa core to play via a USB DAC and using the playback and library views was always pretty easy but there are other ways to get similar functionality from any Linux box without trying to port moOde. Using I2S DACs would be a challenge.

Since Orange Pi’s employ U-boot and not the proprietary RPi boot process, no Raspberry Pi OS-based image is going to boot as-is. 

Bottom line — Orange Pis have been around for more than half a decade. If porting moOde were done easily it would already have been done and bragged about here or on the web.

Good luck.

Regards,
Kent