Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Cannot access UI at all
Hello there,

I am pretty new to Moode, but as a I just found my old Raspberry PI A, I thought I could give it a try.

Here is what I did, working on a Windows 10 machine

- downloaded the most recent image and wrote it on an 8GB S card.
- put the card into the Raspi
- connecetd an ethernet cable to the Raspi
- connected the ethernet to a powerline network extender which is connected to my router.
- only THEN plugged in the USB power 

The Raspi did seem to boot just fine. after a while, I could spot he new Moode device shown in myrouter menu and also could find out its IP. I can ping the IP without problems, but when I use the browser to goto http://...[ip adresss seen in my router], I only get an error message that the site cannot be reachd (ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED) . Same when I got to moode.local or http://moode/ -- no connection...
Somehow it seems that Moode does not start its Webserver frontend ?

Any ideas, anybody?

Thx, corduroy
(03-21-2020, 09:39 PM)corduroy Wrote: Hello there,

I am pretty new to Moode, but as a I just found my old Raspberry PI A, I thought I could give it a try.

Here is what I did, working on a Windows 10 machine

- downloaded the most recent image and wrote it on an 8GB S card.
- put the card into the Raspi
- connecetd an ethernet cable to the Raspi
- connected the ethernet to a powerline network extender which is connected to my router.
- only THEN plugged in the USB power 

The Raspi did seem to boot just fine. after a while, I could spot he new Moode device shown in myrouter menu and also could find out its IP. I can ping the IP without problems, but when I use the browser to goto http://...[ip adresss seen in my router], I only get an error message that the site cannot be reachd (ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED) . Same when I got to moode.local or http://moode/ -- no connection...
Somehow it seems that Moode does not start its Webserver frontend ?

Any ideas, anybody?

Thx, corduroy

Hi, corduroy.

You could ssh into your moOde player and from its command line examine the log files to see what's happening. Also, from moOde's command line you can grep for nginx master and worker processes to see if the web server is running. E.g., "ps aux|grep nginx" should return 5 lines of nginx processes.

Windows 10 has an ssh client accessible via PowerShell but, at least when I first tried it, was still optional. See, e.g., How to Enable and Use Windows 10's New Built-in SSH Commands.

Or, if you've installed Windows Subsystem for Linux and a Linux distro, you have a built-in Linux host to work from.

Regards,
Kent
If you are really running a Pi 1A then I doubt it will work well, if at all....256 MiB memory is rather limiting.
Do you have access to another later model Pi you could try ?
----------
bob
Thank you both for you answers. First, I have to correct myself: Although I bought it like five years ago, mine is already a Raspberry B model (no +). Would that be sufficient in performance to run the current Moode?

The nginx command in SSH gave me the following:
Pi 728 0.0 0.3 2720 1372 pts/1 S+ 05:31 0:00 grep --color=auto nginx

I am not very familiar around Linux, so I must search around a bit on how to read the logfiles. Unless somebody can point me in the right direction ?

Best,
Corduroy
(03-22-2020, 09:40 AM)corduroy Wrote: Thank you both for you answers. First, I have to correct myself: Although I bought it like five years ago, mine is already a Raspberry B model (no +). Would that be sufficient in performance to run the current Moode?

The nginx command in SSH gave me the following:
Pi 728  0.0  0.3   2720  1372 pts/1    S+   05:31   0:00 grep --color=auto nginx

I am not very familiar around Linux, so I must search around a bit on how to read the logfiles. Unless somebody can point me in the right direction ?

Best,
Corduroy

For sure your moOde isn't serving its UI then. 

There was the original RPi1B which had only 256 MB of RAM and the newer RPi1B (ca2016) which had 512 MB. The newer one has specs roughly comparable to the RPi0 so I would think it would work with moOde. I don't think the older one can run current moOde but @Tim Curtis is the official judge on that.

You can tell which you have by ssh'ing into your RPi and executing the command "free -m". Here's an example I ran on an RPi3A+

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ free -m
             total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:            430         120          35          28         274         223
Swap:             0           0           0

That total, 430 MB, is the memory available for programs. It's the 512 MB physical RAM on this board less the amount of RAM shared with the GPU (which is not the number in the shared column). 

I would expect the newer RPi1B to report a similar number. If the available amount is too low, moOde has no room to do its work.

I donated all my early models to a local school years ago so can't try to replicate your situation, sorry.

Regards,
Kent
Hi Kent,

Thanks. It does shoe similar values (430 total, 300 free memory), so that does not seem to be the problem.

My home network is setup so that it does serve both ipv6 and ipv4 addresses, also to the Raspi. Could that be an issue with the WebUI?
Reboot and post the Moode log

Code:
moodeutl -l
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(03-22-2020, 01:31 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Reboot and post the Moode log

Code:
moodeutl -l

Hi Tim,

Did it. All I get is:

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ moodeutl -l      -bash: /usr/local/bin/moodeutl: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
I'd suggest getting one of the arm7 Pi's for example 3A+, 3B+ or 4B
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(03-22-2020, 05:11 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I'd suggest getting one of the arm7 Pi's for example 3A+, 3B+ or 4B

Thanks Tim!

What would possibly the last version of Moode audio that was still backward compatible to Arm6 devices like mine?