Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Hiccup at track transition
I use Vinyl Studio to rip my Vinyl and then I play back the digital files with MoOde. The thread below describes the issue I have have and the response from Paul, who’s the guy behind Vinyl Studio. Can I avoid this hiccup with MoOde?

Sorry, no.  The hiccup is caused by the app playing the file, not VinylStudio.

Regards,

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Sanders
AlpineSoft
https://www.alpinesoft.co.uk

On 28/03/2020 08:43, Ifor Phillips wrote:

Thanks Paul, so it’s not possible to have it play through the marker without a hiccup unless one alters, by fading in and out, the original sound of the album?

Regards
Ifor

On 27 Mar 2020, at 23:47, AlpineSoft Customer Service <customer_service@alpinesoft.co.uk> wrote:

Hi,

Yes, you can fade tracks in and out.  To do this, press and hold the Alt / Option key and drag the little square boxes that appear in the centre of the track break markers.  It helps to zoom in a little.

Regards,

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Sanders
AlpineSoft
https://www.alpinesoft.co.uk

On 27/03/2020 23:18, ifor@mac.com wrote:

Hi Paul,

I’ve recorded a live album (Wings Over America) and placed track markers within the applause between songs. When I play the recording I hear a jump at every track mark. Can this be avoided?

Good night!

Regards,
Ifor
I have no idea what a "track marker" is but if its inserted into the digital audio output from this ripping software then why is this a moOde problem?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(03-28-2020, 07:42 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I have no idea what a "track marker" is but if its inserted into the digital audio output from this ripping software then why is this a moOde problem?

I’ve no idea Tim, but I’ll see what I can find out.
(03-28-2020, 09:37 PM)ICLlP Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 07:42 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I have no idea what a "track marker" is but if its inserted into the digital audio output from this ripping software then why is this a moOde problem?

OK, some clarity: a track marker is a track break. I’ve recorded the live album and split it into tracks using Vinyl Studio. I then play it back as a whole album, hoping to hear it as such, but there are hiccups at the track transitions. Paul has said this:

“The point is, if you play audio across two files, even if the original audio is seamless, you generally hear a glitch.  This is because the player needs a moment or two to start playing when it encounters the second file”.
@ICLlP

Instead of inserting track "markers" (still don't understand what those are) or splitting the rip into separate track files, why not save the album as a single file with a companion cue file (aka cue sheet)?

Regards,
Kent
(03-29-2020, 09:00 AM)ICLlP Wrote:

OK, some clarity: a track marker is a track break. I’ve recorded the live album and split it into tracks using Vinyl Studio. I then play it back as a whole album, hoping to hear it as such, but there are hiccups at the track transitions. Paul has said this:

“The point is, if you play audio across two files, even if the original audio is seamless, you generally hear a glitch.  This is because the player needs a moment or two to start playing when it encounters the second file”.

The quoted statement is simply false. There should never be any audio glitches when MPD automatically transitions from one track to the next in the Playlist. If there are then its an issue with the files themselves.

My albums including several that are gapless were created using XLD to rip CD's to individual tracks in FLAC format. I've never experienced any audio glitches.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(03-29-2020, 03:34 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(03-29-2020, 09:00 AM)ICLlP Wrote:

The quoted statement is simply false. There should never be any audio glitches when MPD automatically transitions from one track to the next in the Playlist. If there are then its an issue with the files themselves.

My albums including several that are gapless were created using XLD to rip CD's to individual tracks in FLAC format. I've never experienced any audio glitches.

I've some experience here. The track markers are inserted into the (one file per side) digital capture as it is done with Vinyl Studio determining the 'break' points. VS then allows you to break the long, multi-song file into seperate song files at those marker points. It also does a very nice job of finding and creating all the tags and so on. I have never played a whole side file in Moode, so I have'nt heard any glitches, but  they have always played fine in sequence since the track number tags were correct and handled fine by MPD/Moode. While I have never done so, OP could put the song files from each side in its own subdirectory in order to keep that component of the recording intact, and play each side by itself.
Thank you everyone. Tend to listen to albums rather than to tracks so I notice the glitches. I could indeed do away with the track splitting and just have one track per side. This would solve it, but I feel it shouldn’t be necessary. I’ve no idea what cut files are and how they could help.
(03-30-2020, 02:18 PM)ICLlP Wrote: Thank you everyone. Tend to listen to albums rather than to tracks so I notice the glitches. I could indeed do away with the track splitting and just have one track per side. This would solve it, but I feel it shouldn’t be necessary. I’ve no idea what cut files are and how they could help.

A cue file aka cue sheet: basically a listing of tracks with metadata and their offsets in the single album file. There's a nice discussion in CueTools.

If you don't know them then you probably don't have ripping software which supports them and they won't help you.

Regards,
Kent
(03-30-2020, 02:18 PM)ICLlP Wrote: Thank you everyone. Tend to listen to albums rather than to tracks so I notice the glitches. I could indeed do away with the track splitting and just have one track per side. This would solve it, but I feel it shouldn’t be necessary. I’ve no idea what cut files are and how they could help.

Hi - I have quite extensive experience in audio editing, though I've never used the piece of software you've mentioned.

I see from the VS help-documentation that it's possible i. to split the track at the track marker, ii. eliminate gaps between track markers, and iii. cross-fade at the track break.
The first option should be gapless, the second two would obviously introduce some form of audible artifact.

It's difficult to imagine what the 'hiccup' and 'glitch' sounds you're describing actually sound like like.  
And whether it's caused by the splitting process, or the encoding process (you don't mention which format you've chosen for the final files - WAV, MP3, FLAC?).

I've used moOde for some months now, have a lot of live albums split into separate tracks and have never experienced other than perfectly gapless playback.

Would it be possible to upload two consecutive tracks where you notice the anomaly and PM me the link?

I'm intruiged and perhaps I can help you investigate.
Pi-4B[1GB] with Allo DigiOne SPDIF

'This is the time. And this is the record of the time.'