Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Hiccup at track transition
(03-31-2020, 08:57 PM)ICLlP Wrote: I’ll now need to resave my entire vinyl collection. At least the ripping is done! I’ll also check an ALAC version of the problem album for glitches.
When you say "at least the ripping is done" do you mean you have also kept the uncompressed wav files that your ripping software recorded before making them into AAC files? If not re-saving your AAC as ALAC won't be worth much since the lossy compression has already thrown data away, you'll simply be making a small lower quality file take up lots more space for no extra audio data. I ask because if you do actually have the WAV files and enough storage to hold them, using any compression (FLAC,ALAC or lossy) is an unnecessary overhead surely?
----------------
Robert
(03-31-2020, 11:31 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Can’t get’em in my area Tongue

I don't think I've laughed so much at a one-liner in ages.
A great start to the day... Thanks!
Pi-4B[1GB] with Allo DigiOne SPDIF

'This is the time. And this is the record of the time.'
(04-01-2020, 01:22 PM)the_bertrum Wrote:
(03-31-2020, 08:57 PM)ICLlP Wrote: I’ll now need to resave my entire vinyl collection. At least the ripping is done! I’ll also check an ALAC version of the problem album for glitches.
When you say "at least the ripping is done" do you mean you have also kept the uncompressed wav files that your ripping software recorded before making them into AAC files?  If not re-saving your AAC as ALAC won't be worth much since the lossy compression has already thrown data away, you'll simply be making a small lower quality file take up lots more space for no extra audio data.  I ask because if you do actually have the WAV files and enough storage to hold them, using any compression (FLAC,ALAC or lossy) is an unnecessary overhead surely?

They're recorded as ALAC, so it's all good.
Good news! Have saved the tracks as ALAC files instead of AAC, which I had done previously, the glitches are gone.
(04-01-2020, 05:02 PM)ICLlP Wrote: Good news!  Have saved the tracks as ALAC files instead of AAC, which I had done previously, the glitches are gone.

Great - am glad you got it resolved.
Pi-4B[1GB] with Allo DigiOne SPDIF

'This is the time. And this is the record of the time.'
Nice :-)
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
I reported back to Paul Sanders of Vinyl Studio and got this reply from him:

“Ah right, that makes a lot of sense. I was going to ask you about file formats - lossy files compress audio in chunks so aligning the audio on exact sample boundaries is not possible, hence the glitch.

Do you plan to post back to the Mood forum? If you do, please apologise to them on my behalf for what I said about their app - it is smarter than I gave them credit for”.

Thanks everyone.
(04-02-2020, 06:35 AM)ICLlP Wrote: lossy files compress audio in chunks so aligning the audio on exact sample boundaries is not possible, hence the glitch.
So how do the myriad of gapless and lossy albums I have in my collection work if that's true?
----------------
Robert
(04-02-2020, 12:30 PM)the_bertrum Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 06:35 AM)ICLlP Wrote: lossy files compress audio in chunks so aligning the audio on exact sample boundaries is not possible, hence the glitch.
So how do the myriad of gapless and lossy albums I have in my collection work if that's true?

I’ll leave it to you to discuss that with Paul.
(04-02-2020, 12:59 PM)ICLlP Wrote: I’ll leave it to you to discuss that with Paul.

Big Grin
I'll just be thankful that they do; and that you and I both have files we are happy with that behave as we expect in this great little player Tim and the guys have built for us.
----------------
Robert