Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

HiFiBerry Amp2 ALSA volume
Hi all,

I recently came from Volumio, but I had troubles with the Pi becoming unreachable after some days of usage and had to reboot it quite frequently. 
Hopefully Moode Audio doesn't have this issue, so far I'm very happy with it  Smile .

I have one question though, it is not quite clear if the ALSA volume setting should be set to 'Software' or 'Hardware' in combination with the HiFiBerry Amp2. The setup guide states to use 'Software' for I2S devices, so I'm currently using that. It works, but I'm not sure if this is the proper setting for the Amp2.

Can somebody advice me on this?
If your audio device includes a Hardware volume controller and it's picked up by Linux/ALSA it will appear in the MPD config screen as one of the choices for Volume control.

I'm not sure what DAC chip your device uses but for example some of the ESS chips have a high resolution on-chip Hardware volume controller and so I always select Hardware for audio devices that use those chips :-)
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Thanks Tim! I've set it to Hardware volume control and it works Smile . Sounds great!

I was afraid of blowing up my speakers when setting it to Hardware volume, thinking it would output 100% Tongue