Thank you for your donation!


Converted Aura TU50 tuner
#1
   

Thank Tim et al, I have just completed the conversion of my now obsolete FM tuner to a MoOde audio player.

Reused my original RPi 1B, was able to find a clone of the HiFiBerry DAC board on eBay for $10
I was able to reuse much of the existing HW from the tuner - including the panel and the power supply
The window for the display is sized perfectly for a 16x2 OLED
The power supply originally had 5v and 15v output using 78xx voltage regulators.  I was able to switch these out to a OKI-78sr switching regulator for 5v and a 78M33 3.3v linear regulator.
The TU50 has 8 radio presets and 6 function keys, 14 with status LEDs.  My aim was to maintain this functionality.  But with very limited GPIO on the RPi1B, had to use some external circuitry.  For the radio buttons I created a radio button circuit using an 8 input D-type flip flop 74HC574 and encoded this to 3bits using BCD encoder 74HC148. This allows me to use just 3 inputs for the 8 radio stations and output to the LEDs.  
For the 6 function keys I had intended to use an IC solution, but in the end I opted for using a Arduino Uno board I had purchased on eBay for $3.  This also allowed me to create a flashing LED "countdown" for the poweroff function.  Be careful to ensure you convert the 5v output of the Arduino to 3.3v - I missed this at first and thought I may have fried my Pi, but luckily only corrupted the SD card - reloaded the image and was back running.

So the 6 keys provide:
 CDPrev
 Next
 Repeat all
 Random
 Pause/Play
 Power off
with LED status for the last 4

Using pydPiper for the OLED driver - took a while to optimize the display output, but opted for simple Artist, Album, Title format
I created a custom 'standby' display and a pause indication for when a track is paused

The sound is great, the functionality perfect.
I think ideally I will at some point upgrade the RPi to a faster model

I have a music library of around 15000 songs, >1500 albums and although it took a while for MoOde to generate the mpd library ands the artwork it now works flawlessly.

My only criticism is the time it takes for the display to activate - takes about 4 minutes from cold power on.

All in all I spent about $50 Canadian on the OLED, DAC and components and many hours soldering and programming.

I have attached a couple of images of the final product



       
Reply
#2
@Britracer

That's a great conversion. Congrats.

Wish I had some old gear that looked good enough to repurpose, but no such luck  Sad

Regards,
Kent
Reply
#3
(04-19-2020, 09:32 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @Britracer

That's a great conversion. Congrats.

Wish I had some old gear that looked good enough to repurpose, but no such luck  Sad

Regards,
Kent

Yes Kent, I saw previous posts where you had donated your RPi 1B to local school groups.... Oh.. not that 'old gear' Wink 

I think that @Britracer  you have done a marvelous job adapting the Aura tuner !! Smile 
.... alas even if I had one to adapt it would not work here... family would soon have that shiny exterior smeared with chocolate 'gangster' fingerprints and worse.. Big Grin
Reply
#4
All that work then you go and stack CD cases on top of your speakers! Arrgh!

Very nice job though.
Reply
#5
(04-20-2020, 08:15 AM)the_bertrum Wrote: All that work then you go and stack CD cases on top of your speakers!  Arrgh!

Very nice job though.

There's a fix for that.... Wink Big Grin 
http://shahinianacoustics.com/Obelisk.htm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/25197903@N05/8082262504
Reply
#6
(04-20-2020, 09:10 AM)DRONE7 Wrote:
(04-20-2020, 08:15 AM)the_bertrum Wrote: All that work then you go and stack CD cases on top of your speakers!  Arrgh!

Very nice job though.

There's a fix for that.... Wink Big Grin 
http://shahinianacoustics.com/Obelisk.htm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/25197903@N05/8082262504

Nice
Reply
#7
Very nice! Need clean fingers to keep things shiny Wink I've lived with a VA100 for a while... nice amp!
RPi 2B / Allo DigiOne / SanDisk Ultra / Eth
Reply


Forum Jump: