Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Weird wifi issue - moOde 6.5.1
Hello guys,

I'm a first time moOde user and I'm having a strange issue with the wifi.

This is my setup, diy in a steel box with a linear power supply delivering 5.15v:

Device: Audiophonics ES9023 DAC
Chip: ESS Sabre ES9023
Interface: I2S
Formats: S16_LE, S24_LE
Platform: Pi-3B 1GB v1.2

The wifi connects cleanly, but after a while it starts dropping packets and the latency of the ping rises at unbelievable levels (~20000ms).

I noticed that removing the cover from the box fixes the problem after few seconds and the problem is back if I put back the cover. I don't have this issue with other audio distributions, but honestly moOde is my favorite.

Is there any power saving features in place for the wifi or is the tx power controlled by any means?

Thank you very much for your help!
Cheers
(05-04-2020, 10:58 AM)cyruz Wrote: Hello guys,

I'm a first time moOde user and I'm having a strange issue with the wifi.

This is my setup, diy in a steel box with a linear power supply delivering 5.15v:

Device: Audiophonics ES9023 DAC
Chip: ESS Sabre ES9023
Interface: I2S
Formats: S16_LE, S24_LE
Platform: Pi-3B 1GB v1.2

The wifi connects cleanly, but after a while it starts dropping packets and the latency of the ping rises at unbelievable levels (~20000ms).

I noticed that removing the cover from the box fixes the problem after few seconds and the problem is back if I put back the cover. I don't have this issue with other audio distributions, but honestly moOde is my favorite.

Is there any power saving features in place for the wifi or is the tx power controlled by any means?

Thank you very much for your help!
Cheers

Hi,

Steel case and RPi onboard Wifi isn't a great mix, for sure.

I don't recall in which version of moOde he introduced this feature, but Tim thoughtfully provides some basic WiFi quality numbers on the m>Config>Network panel. Look under the address assignment box.

Here's some example numbers from various RPis running moOde in my laboratory (aka living room):

RPi3B+ on back of 7" Touchscreen bare on table: 192.168.1.184 - quality 96%, level -43 dBm
RPi0w bare on table: 192.168.1.154 - quality 86%, level -50 dBm
RPi3A in plastic case on bookshelf: 192.168.1.195 - quality 67%, level -63 dBm
RPi4B bare in wood cabinet surrounded by cables and gear: 92.168.1.198 - quality 56%, level -71 dBm

(Levels are measured on a logarithmic scale: -43 dBm is much stronger than a level of -71 dBm.)

As you can see, I have a variety of signal quality and levels due to immediate surroundings and relationship to the AP in the basement. All these are performing well.

If you're not using Bluetooth, turn off the integrated adapter in the System Config panel. This might help. There's all the usual nostrums like get closer to the AP, use an external USB-WiFi adapter, etc.

That you don't see the issue with other distros may be a function of the kernel/drivers used in each.

You can get more detailed info from the command with commands like iwconfig and iwlist.

Regards,
Kent
Thank you Kent,

after all the test and reading about it, the Pi 3b has known problem related to the wifi and I can confirm that it doesn't work well enclosed in a steel box.

I'll find a solution, thanks for your help.
You can still use a steel enclosure but if you are going to use WiFi it has to be via an external dongle.

moOde includes the driver for Comfast CF-912AC dual-band WiFi adapter and I've had great success with it :-)
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(05-04-2020, 10:08 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: You can still use a steel enclosure but if you are going to use WiFi it has to be via an external dongle.

moOde includes the driver for Comfast CF-912AC dual-band WiFi adapter and I've had great success with it :-)

Thanks Tim, I went the modding way, desoldered the Pi internal antenna and soldered a coax cable with a SMA connector... Now I have a small antenna out from the box and it works fine.
(05-05-2020, 12:18 AM)cyruz Wrote:
(05-04-2020, 10:08 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: You can still use a steel enclosure but if you are going to use WiFi it has to be via an external dongle.

Thanks Tim, I went the modding way, desoldered the Pi internal antenna and soldered a coax cable with a SMA connector... Now I have a small antenna out from the box and it works fine.

Nice!
For sure. Hardware hacking is cool.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Bug 
You were lucky you had enough wifi leaking out of a closed metal box to even make a connection!

Kudos on hooking up the antenna...  you gotta give those waves a way to radiate, and get picked up.  Took it from bad to above avg installation...