Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Official moOde 6.5.2 support thread
I'm not sure what's causing your issue since I'm not able to repro it on my iMac, iPad or iPhone. I experience only the slightest lag when there are 5000 items in the playlist.

The symptom "Even on my pc with 5k tracks playing the page freezes" suggests something external to stock moOde for example a bad or corrupt SDCard, network issue, 3rd party software adds or mods, etc.

The reason why our design loads the entire library and playlist into Browser memory is because in our experience typical user collections are small to medium sized, maybe up to 20-25K tracks and typically the Playlist is small given that Auto-shuffle can be used for random play rather than MPD random play which requites loading huge numbers of tracks into the Playlist. These types of collections and playlists are easily handled in Browser RAM.

This design has proven to be successful over the years and so we have not had a reason to change it but instead we try to steadily improve it, making it more efficient and easier to use. Having the Library and Playlist in RAM makes for a very responsive and fast UI for the majority of users :-)

Whats your usage scenario that requires 5000 track playlist?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(06-22-2020, 10:07 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: This design has proven to be successful over the years and so we have not had a reason to change it but instead we try to steadily improve it, making it more efficient and easier to use.
I thought 6.4 worked differently because it had better performance for me.
Anyways, it's not a huge concern since I mostly use MPDroid app and only use webui to change settings. Hopefully, other users have better hardware than I do and won't experience this problem.
One small request: can you please bring the update library button back to library config page so I can just go straight to settings page when I want to update my database?

(06-22-2020, 10:07 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Whats your usage scenario that requires 5000 track playlist?
I'm not a fan of auto-shuffle feature and prefer classic shuffle all approach, with a playlist that contains all tracks grouped by album and with ability to go back to tracks that played before.
I'm still puzzled by your issue. If you only use the WebUI for settings, the Config pages don't load the playlist. It's only loaded into Browser memory when on the Library or Playback panels. If you then close the Browser nothing is in memory anymore.

I'd suggest posting the issue to the maintainer of the 3rd party MPD client app.
Enjoy the Music!
(06-22-2020, 11:02 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I'm still puzzled by your issue. If you only use the WebUI for settings, the Config pages don't load the playlist. It's only loaded into Browser memory when on the Library or Playback panels.
I needed to update my library, that button is on the library page and is gone from config pages, see:
(06-22-2020, 10:47 PM)waffle Wrote: One small request: can you please bring the update library button back to library config page so I can just go straight to settings page when I want to update my database?

(06-22-2020, 11:02 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: If you then close the Browser nothing is in memory anymore.
I'd suggest posting the issue to the maintainer of the 3rd party MPD client app.
The issue is with the web ui, not with the app. That's why I said that this issue is not a huge concern for me.
Got it.
Enjoy the Music!
Hi everyone. I was unsure as to where to post my issue, thus I described in the other thread, but decided to inform you here as well. Let me know, if I have to delete it there and repost here: http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...2#pid21552
Just upgraded from 6.4.? to 6.5.2. It seems I can't control software volume for DSD files. I thought I could in the past. MP3 and Flac have no issues.

Any thoughts?

pi 3b+
Allo Boss

TIA!
So MPD doesn't have a software volume control for DSD.

Thx
https://github.com/MusicPlayerDaemon/MPD/issues/413
Enjoy the Music!
The subject of volume control of DSD-encoded material has been beaten to within an inch of its life on other forums.

DIgital volume control, whether done in software or hardware, is extremely easy with PCM-encoded signals. Each n-bit sample is a measure of the amplitude of the signal at the moment of the sample. Just multiply or divide each sample by some constant factor to change the amplitude of the signal.

Digital volume control (or any other kind of signal shaping), whether done in software or hardware, is extremely difficult for "pure" 1-bit DSD-encoded signals [1]. In a purist sense, I'd say it's impossible: a single bit is immutable. Tricks have to be played if one doesn't want to resort to volume control of the analog signal after conversion.

Tricks in software: A professional digital audio workstation (DAW) may convert the 1-bit DSD signal to the so-called DSD-wide format, expanding the single bit to 8 before processing the stream in special ways. As an alternative, a DAW may simply convert the DSD signal to PCM first and then process it in the usual way. 

Tricks in hardware: Inside the ESS Sabre DAC chip a game is played with multiple 1-bit DACs running in parallel and getting summed in the output [2,3]. I don't know what AKM does in its DACs. Their schematic diagram with its tersely worded "volume bypass" line is sketchy to say the least. [4]

Note that just having an ESS chip isn't sufficient. One has to have access to its control register to implement hardware volume control of DSD. For example, my Khadas Tone Board has the ES9038Q2M DAC chip but the XMOS XU208 controller doesn't expose the control via the USB interface. OTOH, I understand from others that their Allo Katana, which also has the ESS 9038Q2M DAC chip, does expose the control via the GPIO interface. YMMV.

Ain't life grand?

Regards,
Kent

Ref:
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Stream_Digital
[2] https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic...e-control/
[3] https://web.archive.org/web/201407091722...abrewp.pdf
[4] https://velvetsound.akm.com/global/en/pr.../ak4497eq/