Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: powersuply for amp2 + yamo
Question 
Can you help?
Which power supply for hifiberry amp2 and JAMO STUDIO S 801?

Hat attachment for Raspberry in version 4B, 3B +, 3B, 2B, A +, B +, Zero with a built-in class D amplifier with a power of 60 W. The device supports speakers with an impedance of 4 Ω to 8 Ω , works at speeds from 44.1 kHz up to 192 kHz, requires an external 12 V to 24 V power supply

Technical data:

Producer: Jamo Studio
     Model: S 801
     Construction: MDF housing, forward-facing bass-reflex port
     Tweeter: 25 mm (1 ”) soft dome
     Woofer: 102 mm (4 ”) Polyfiber
     Short-term / long-term power: 120 W / 60 W
     Dimensions: 285 x 156 x 163 mm
     Impedance: 8 Ω
     Efficiency: 85 dB (2.83V @ 1m)
     Black colour
     Frequency response: 76 - 26.000 Hz

https://allegro.pl/oferta/kolumny-podsta...7240168383

Is this plug for screwing the cable?
@Mr.R0b0t

This would seem a question better answered by the HiFiBerry folks on their website.

While you're at it you might ask them what that "60W" number represents---peak power, RMS power, or some other measurement altogether, and into what load.

Regards,
Kent
(05-08-2020, 04:53 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: This would seem a question better answered by the HiFiBerry folks on their website.
While you're at it you might ask them what that "60W" number represents---peak power, RMS power, or some other measurement altogether, and into what load.

Hi Kent,

you don't have to go to other forums, because some members of this forum here have some experience with this HAT. (I have 2 installations running with it). And let me say (like an old Audiophile) the sound is fantastic! Because there is no analog part in the chain!

That means, as long as you don't have an analog component in the system, the power supply cannot influence the sound either.

@Mr.R0b0t Use ANY power supply which has aprox. 100W (20V, 5A) like an old used laptop charger.

Best regards
Norbert
OMG, I finally know a use for those dusty “bricks” that have been accumulating over the years in my basement! I used to donate them but nobody wants them any more.

Thanks for setting me and the OP straight.

Regards,
Kent
Wink 
One of my old "bricks" at work ... interesting is the size ratio compared to the RasPi A+ with the AMP2  Shy

@Mr.R0b0t The speaker cables are cross-connected. As a result, the (+) and (-) poles are closer to each other (4x instead of 1x). This reduces the inductance (magnetic field) and thus improves the pulse reproduction.

Normal:
(+)(-)

Cross-connected:
(+)(-)
(-)(+)
You can try it out if you like.

Best regards

Norbert

@Norbert that's a fascinating picture in a number of ways, I might try and copy it! And maybe I can chop off the end of 4 pin 120w power supply and use that?
Can you explain a little more about the speaker wiring please?
Is it 4 core electrical cable?
Hi,

I had ordered power supply + Amp2 from hifiberry in Switzerland
-> Meanwell GS60A18-P1J (60W)
-> A 18V / 3.3A power supply for the HiFiBerry Amp2

On the Amp2, old punch 2 loudspeakers 4 ohms 2x110W
Music power is available. Smile Smile