Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Parametric EQ spotify
I was under the impression the parametric EQ worked with spotify connect. I've tried with two separate default setups and the parametric EQ doesn't do anything. The regular EQ works just fine. Parametric EQ works with locally played music just fine too. I've tried loading the EQ, then manually restarting MPD and spotify connect, no joy.

Any idea? Thanks,
Steve
It's coded to be able to feed into the PEQ. I don't have a Spotify Premium account so not able to try and repro.

Post the contents of Menu, Audio info while playing a Spotify trac w/o the EQ enabled. I'd like to see the format of the PCM output stream.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(05-10-2020, 10:22 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: It's coded to be able to feed into the PEQ. I don't have a Spotify Premium account so not able to try and repro.

Post the contents of Menu, Audio info while playing a Spotify trac w/o the EQ enabled. I'd like to see the format of the PCM output stream.

Code:
INPUT / OUTPUT
Source:     Spotify stream
Encoded at:     Unknown
Decoded to:     16 bit, 44.1 kHz, Stereo, VBR
Destination:     Local
Output rate:     16 bit, 44.1 kHz, Stereo, 1.411 Mbps
DSP OPERATIONS
Volume ctl:     Hardware (on-chip volume controller)
Resampling:     n/a
Polarity inv:     n/a
Crossfade:     n/a
Crossfeed:     n/a
Parametric EQ:     off
Graphic EQ:     off
Replaygain:     n/a
Normalize vol:     n/a
Chip options:     Filter=corrected minimum phase fast, Input=I2S
AUDIO DEVICE
Device:     Audiophonics ES9028/9038 DAC
Chip:     ESS Sabre ES9028/9038 Q2M
Interface:     I2S
Formats:     S16_LE, S32_LE
Platform:     Pi-4B 2GB v1.

Not sure if that what you wanted....
I've never used the equalizer before so to be sure the PEQ was actually "in-circuit" I tested with an exaggerated curve which boosted the low-end (+24db) and cut the hi-end (-24db). 

The difference between PEQ off and PEQ on is quite obvious both when I play a radio station from the Library and when I listen to Spotify.

I'm not sure what @moodkim is running into here.

Regards,
Kent
Thanks for confirming.
Enjoy the Music!
(05-11-2020, 02:10 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: I've never used the equalizer before so to be sure the PEQ was actually "in-circuit" I tested with an exaggerated curve which boosted the low-end (+24db) and cut the hi-end (-24db). 

The difference between PEQ off and PEQ on is quite obvious both when I play a radio station from the Library and when I listen to Spotify.

I'm not sure what @moodkim is running into here.

Regards,
Kent

Yeah I did the same. That's how I made sure it wasn't just that I didn't notice any changes. Using the graphical EQ it's very obvious even with small adjustments on the fly. The PEQ always works as expected with local my local library. As far as I know I haven't done any major configuration changes.
Try with a stock, unmodified moOde 6.5.2 image which is what I assume @TheOldPresbyope used to confirm that PEQ works when playing a Spotify stream.
Enjoy the Music!
The moOde 6.5.2 image I tested with was modified only to implement a moOde splashscreen on the local display.

In moOde configuration settings, I had selected a USB output device and was playing with only the PEQ settings. IIRC everything else was set to default values, including the Spotify config settings.

I'll repeat my test again later this morning to make sure I wasn't doing something stupid. My stupidity quotient increases nonlinearly with wallclock time. Morning coffee helps the reset process.

Regards,
Kent
(05-11-2020, 11:02 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Try with a stock, unmodified moOde 6.5.2 image which is what I assume @TheOldPresbyope used to confirm that PEQ works when playing a Spotify stream.

The only thing I modified was enabled SSH, added my i2s device as the output, and changed my password. 100% stock.

Just took a look at my installed version, says 6.4.2, thought I was on the latest. I'll try 6.5.2 and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

Steve
Well, I tried 6.5.2 and I'm more confused than ever. Now it seems to work, sort of. But doesn't consistently insert itself. Audio output in general seemed muted to me for some reason. I switch to a volumio build and everything sounds normal.... Huh  and their parametric eq plugin works great. Might be a little too much tinkering for me at this point.

Still appreciate what you're doing and hate volumio's feature locked economic strategy....

Edit: So I got the proper sequence of events down to get the parametric EQ to play nice with spotify.
1. Make sure spotify is not playing
2. Make adjustments to PEQ
3. Save
4. Click Test or reboot the system (this is 100% necessary)
5. Connect to spotify and enjoy...

Other sequences I've tried that never work
1. Pause Spotify
2. Make adjustments
3. Save
4. Press play on spotify

1. Disconnect from spotify
2. Make adjustments
3. Save
4. restart mpd
5. restart spotify renderer
6. connect to spotify and play

Seems pretty clunky, but yes it does work. And the muffled sound I kept hearing was because despite saving the EQ settings (even disabling EQ), which I had made drastic to make sure I noticed the change, moOde wasn't removing the affects of the PEQ