Thank you for your donation!

Solved: Mea Culpa I am a networking moron.
I have been using moOde since way back when....
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based...36799.html

and finally today after the umpty-millionth attempt I have connected to my Ubuntu box and can play tunes from the Music folder...

Yes, it's because I am a networking moron... Dodgy 

Many thanks to Kent for this gem that finally made the penny drop...

Quote:Once the network share is enabled, moOde should discover it when you click SCAN. Just guessing at values to enter manually is not a good strategy.
http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...65#pid6765

I have been making 'educated' guesses for some 6 years now.... oh the shame... Rolleyes 

repeat after me....Enabled Enabled Enabled !!! lol...
(05-18-2020, 06:50 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: I have been using moOde since way  back when....
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based...36799.html

and finally today after the umpty-millionth attempt I have connected to my Ubuntu box and can play tunes from the Music folder...

Yes, it's because I am a networking moron... Dodgy 

Many thanks to Kent for this gem that finally made the penny drop...

Quote:Once the network share is enabled, moOde should discover it when you click SCAN. Just guessing at values to enter manually is not a good strategy.
http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...65#pid6765

I have been making 'educated' guesses for some 6 years now.... oh the shame... Rolleyes 

repeat after me....Enabled Enabled Enabled !!! lol...

(that's quite catching) Enabled... Enabled... Enabled Smile 
Thanks for (re)pointing to Kent's advice... and, of course, thanks to @TheOldPresbyope
<takes a moment to bask in the glory...and...moment over>

Time to point out the fly in the ointment. 

I've found that sometimes I'll have a rogue host interfere with this discovery process. I suppose it has to do with some process wrongly claiming to be the master browser (SMB-speak), or some such. I've got a mix of OSes and servers of various vintages and have never done the hard-core packet sniffing I think would be necessary to nail down the culprit.

Normally, when I click the scan button, the browser "busy" spinner will do its thing for a bit and then stop. Clicking the down arrow then reveals (at the moment) 40 or so sources. Many of course are the shares from the various moOde players I have running but others are shares from various Linux (mine) and Windows (my SO's) boxes.

Abnormally, when I click the scan button, the browser "busy" spinner starts and then almost immediately stops. Clicking the down arrow then reveals an empty list.

It's annoying but I can live with it since I know the particulars for my NAS shares by heart. Someday, perhaps, I'll figure out how to make the process bulletproof.

Regards,
Kent
It gets 'worser and worser'  When I reboot my ubuntu box all sharing is wiped...have to reconfigure each and every boot Confused 

Local directories can be configured but another partition on the same disk fails always...because NTFS ?? or just not extended under samba ??

(that partition has all the music worth playing)
@DRONE7

I haven't tried to share a directory from an NTFS filesystem on a Linux box, but in general the following must be true:

1) the filesystem containing the directory to be shared must be mounted. Is the partition containing your NTFS filesystem mounted?

2  the share must be declared in the Samba configuration file (traditionally smb.conf), including the path to it and appropriate access permissions (note that the Samba users and your Linux host users can be two different sets of animals). As in Microsoft Windows, you may be using some GUI-based tool to do this.

3) the SMB server daemon must be running with this configuration.

4) the firewall, if any, on the Linux host must allow the SMB traffic.

5) the host must be accessible from the machine trying to mount the share.

6) the machine trying to to mount the share must use a SMB protocol compatible with the Samba server configuration - v1.0, v2.0, etc.

Regards,
Kent