Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Folder name issues in MoOde
Dears,

I'm curious if the folder name can be ended by a full stop, or contain a colon.

According to the attached image, the MPD showed an incorrect name after the Folder "G.E.M." is added.

Please give me some advice to fix it.
Thank you.
Zip up the album and PM or email me a download link. I'll try to repro.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(05-24-2020, 09:06 AM)godt2p4 Wrote: Dears,

According to the attached image, the MPD showed an incorrect name after the Folder "G.E.M." is added.

Thank you.

What OS did you use to create the folder? I can easily create the directory 'G.E.M.' in moOde, which is based on Linux, and MPD happily scans it. Other OSes have a slew of reserved characters, especially full stop. See, e.g., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename#C...imitations

OTOH, I seem to recall that several years ago moOde/MPD threw an exception when I added an album containing a colon in its name. I changed it to semicolon and the scan completed. Sorry I never bother to post my experience.

Regards,
Kent
(05-24-2020, 12:33 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Zip up the album and PM or email me a download link. I'll try to repro.

Sorry, I've found the reason.

My NAS (Linux) only afford LANG=en_US.UTF-8, and CP850 in Samba service, as a result, the colon and full stop is forbidden in the folder name, together with the incorrect name updated into Moode.
Amendment:

In a quick test, I created a new directory "My: Files" in the SDCARD directory and copied into it Tim's test file which I renamed "LR:MonoPhase4.flac".

moOde/MPD scans this and adds it to its library database without issue.

Whatever issue I was having with ":" two years ago I'm not seeing now.

Regards,
Kent
(05-24-2020, 01:11 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(05-24-2020, 09:06 AM)godt2p4 Wrote: Dears,

Thank you.

What OS did you use to create the folder? I can easily create the directory 'G.E.M.' in moOde, which is based on Linux, and MPD happily scans it. Other OSes have a slew of reserved characters, especially full stop. See, e.g., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename#C...imitations

OTOH, I seem to recall that several years ago moOde/MPD threw an exception when I added an album containing a colon in its name. I changed it to semicolon and the scan completed. Sorry I never bother to post my experience.

Regards,
Kent

You'r right, my friend.

The charact type limit the show-up of the folder name, sadness.
(05-24-2020, 01:26 PM)godt2p4 Wrote:
(05-24-2020, 12:33 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Zip up the album and PM or email me a download link. I'll try to repro.

My NAS (Linux) only afford LANG=en_US.UTF-8, and CP850 in Samba service, as a result, the colon and full stop is forbidden in the folder name, together with the incorrect name updated into Moode.

Does your NAS support NFS as an alternative to Samba (SMB)? If so, you could try NFS to avoid the CP850 character-set limitation. UPnP might also work if your NAS supports that.
(05-24-2020, 03:02 PM)leicray Wrote:
(05-24-2020, 01:26 PM)godt2p4 Wrote:

Does your NAS support NFS as an alternative to Samba (SMB)? If so, you could try NFS to avoid the CP850 character-set limitation. UPnP might also work if your NAS supports that.
However, 
I have a problem with folders ending with "...". 
MPD does not see them.
If I suppress the three points at the end of the folders, MPD does see them...
Did anyone encounter this issue, is it me that did not configure MPD as it should be?
Kind regards,
Renaud
Have you tried replacing the three dots with a single "ellipsis" character (Unicode U+2026)? That might work if you have solved the character-set problem that you mentioned previously.
(06-01-2020, 11:10 AM)leicray Wrote: Have you tried replacing the three dots with a single "ellipsis" character (Unicode U+2026)? That might work if you have solved the character-set problem that you mentioned previously.

Yes, everything goes fine now, after NAS sharing is turned into NFS from SMB.

COOL!