Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Best Practices For Large Libraries
What are the best practices for maximizing responsiveness and performance on a large library?      

Large means different things to different people but I assume the same techniques would apply regardless.   

Is it valuable to keep album art size small?   
Is it valuable to eliminate unrelated files from directories (like alternate album art,  text track lists, etc) ?
Do some directory structures work better than others?

I'm asking to optimize my own system but general answers are good here for others who might find this thread. 

Thanks!
Raspberry Pi 3b+  Currently being updated to a larger SD card w/ local library.

How many tracks in your collection?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
I don't have them all on the drive yet but it's probably going to end up being roughly 25k tracks. I'm ripping all the cds to 320CBR though a bunch of my amazon downloads and older mp3s are anything from v0 down to 128CBR

Why not rip to lossless FLAC?
Enjoy the Music!
Gotta pick somewhere on the slope of diminishing returns.

Does file type affect system responsiveness?

Sigh, this is not an FAQ/Guide but just a question so moved to Support.
Enjoy the Music!
I was hoping to get insight on what affects responsiveness, so that when the question gets asked in the future others can benefit from it as well. I searched the forum before asking, but there hasn't been much on the topic yet.

I'm assuming by responsiveness you mean responsiveness of Moode's web UI.
My collection exceeds 90,000 mostly lossless tracks making up almost 9000 albums and the speed of the device running the web browser rendering the UI (like a phone, tablet or PC) has a direct effect on the responsiveness of the web UI. So if you want to put some money towards it order yourself the fastest tablet you can get and you're good.

Primarily the album list will be the longest list that's rendered by the browser (which takes CPU time) so setting 'Show Tagview Covers' to No in the appearance settings will reduce the complexity of the Album list in the Tagview, cutting render time. Keeping 'Hi-res thumbnails' set to Auto in the appearance settings is probably best for the Album view.

Of course reducing the amount of displayed albums by first selecting a genre or artist in tagview or, if appropriate, selecting "Recently added" in the view menu reduces the complexity of the tag and album views and increases responsiveness.

How you organize the files in your music library matters not (to UI responsiveness), Moode is mostly working with file metadata which is scanned into the MPD database when you perform a library update.
If you want MPD to ignore certain files when updating the library you can create a .mpdignore file in the root or of your library or any any subdirectoy as appropriate.
Just to add to what vinnn has already said, you'll need to have a device that supports modern CSS, for instance my old iPhone 4s no longer works with moode since 6.5.x.

Organising your folder structure is really what makes sense to you, as moode has a folder view you can use. How you arrange your cd/vinyl collection on the shelf is a good idea.

Finally make sure you have a good tagging system sorted out, relying on ripping software grabbing meta data from online databases can lead to more work to correct fubars.

Good luck.

Paul
Yes indeed, properly tagged files is a must.