Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Rattling noise
Hi. Total Moode newbie here. My setup is:
Raspberry Pi 3 with Hifiberry Digi+Pro+Official touchscreen 
Audio GD DI-20 Spdif Digital Interface
Avantgarde Acoustic Zero XD active speakers

I changed from Volumio to Moode and really enjoy it. Easy to use. Simple interface, everything that i want from the player. The problem is after the song changes there is some kind of "rattling" noises. For a second or two. This can also occur in the middle of the song. And this happens whatever the source is, local file,spotify,web radio etc. Any ideas what could be the reason behind this?
Is there some settings i could try etc?

Signal is fed from the Digi+Pro to Audio Gd Di 20 with a coaxial cable. And from the Audio GD Di 20 to speakers with a coaxial cable. Both cables are shielded.

And sorry for bad english, not my native language, hope you understand what i meant. Big Grin
Sounds like it could be a clocking or jitter problem between the Digi+Pro and the Audio GD DI-20?
Do you get the same noises if, instead of using SPDIF you output to the DI-20 over USB?

Secondly your system sounds interesting, especially the speakers. Care to post a pic in the "Show your audio systems" thread?
(06-03-2020, 03:10 PM)vinnn Wrote: Sounds like it could be a clocking or jitter problem between the Digi+Pro and the Audio GD DI-20?
Do you get the same noises if, instead of using SPDIF you output to the DI-20 over USB?

Secondly your system sounds interesting, especially the speakers. Care to post a pic in the "Show your audio systems" thread?

Tested through usb, that did the trick. Somehow the DI-20 and digi+pro dont like each other via SPDIF. Lets hope this solved the problem, will continue to test.

Of course I can post some pictures to the other thread. 
And thank you for your help!
@Riprapu

I've checked out your impressive line-up of Hi Fi digital and analogue separates... one word for the line-up: excellent!

Maybe you should consider some more suitable devices to use as a replacement for the Hifiberry SPDIF transport like:
- https://allo.com/sparky/digione.html
- https://allo.com/sparky/digione-signature.html

Note: I have absolutely no financial interest in ALLO's products
(06-05-2020, 07:17 AM)CallMeMike Wrote: @Riprapu

I've checked out your impressive line-up of Hi Fi digital and analogue separates... one word for the line-up: excellent!

Maybe you should consider some more suitable devices to use as a replacement for the Hifiberry SPDIF transport like:
-   https://allo.com/sparky/digione.html
-   https://allo.com/sparky/digione-signature.html

Note: I have absolutely no financial interest in ALLO's products

Thank you for your nice feedback. Yes I have checked Allo products. I just dont know what to buy. The USBridge signature player looks tempting too. And i could move the player that has the touchscreen to the workdesk in other room.
What I have read from other sites all Allo products are high quality. But are there some misadvantages or advantages between the SPDIF and Usb products?
@Riprapu

I have access to neither of the devices for offering an educated evaluation; quick guesses, very low noise and high SQ using SPDIF and playback of virtually all the HiRes / DSD available on the market using the USB.
My personal advice is to continue using USB from the Pi to the GD DI-20 going forward.

As well as the clock issues inherent with using SPDIF, the SPDIF interface is unable to handle PCM over 192KHz at 24bit.
The USB interface is a lower noise, higher bandwidth interface and allows your GD DI-20 to natively handle PCM upto 24/384 and upto DSD512 (which SPDIF is also unable to handle).
I just took a look at the audio-gd site. Their specs for the DI-20 inputs look like a wash to me:

Quote:Built in Amanero USB interface and isolator , Support up to PCM384K / DSD512

Built in FPGA S/Pdif input support up to 384K/DOP

Given these numbers, my personal take on this is to use the USB interface just because it requires no intermediary board like the HiFiBerry and Allo offerings. Less is more  Rolleyes

Regards,
Kent
(06-05-2020, 05:15 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: I just took a look at the audio-gd site. Their specs for the DI-20 inputs look like a wash to me:

Quote:Built in Amanero USB interface and isolator , Support up to PCM384K / DSD512

Built in FPGA S/Pdif input support up to 384K/DOP

Given these numbers, my personal take on this is to use the USB interface just because it requires no intermediary board like the HiFiBerry and Allo offerings. Less is more  Rolleyes

Regards,
Kent
Big thanks to everyone. Propably the best move is to use usb out from Pi to AudioGd, after all it is an pretty good usb solution in one box like you said. And when using usb no problems have occured.
Big thanks once more. Its great we still have audio related communities where we help each other. Normally these kind a questions only start a fight and you get stick from every direction Big Grin