Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Audio mutes when HDMI is plugged
I have a 7" screen that connects via HDMI to raspberry.
But when I connect the HDMI cable to the raspberry, the DAC mutes…

Can any one help ?
Yes, this is a simple configuration file change.
Go to the System configuration tab and scroll to Local Services>SSH Term server and set to On. Then "Open" below it.
You are asked for your a login ..it is   pi  (and enter.)
You are asked for a password  ... it is moodeaudio  (and enter.)

This will bring you to a screen like this..
                         ____     __                                                                                                                                                        
             __ _  ___  / __ \___/ /__                                                                                                                                                      
            /  ' \/ _ \/ /_/ / _  / -_)                                                                                                                                                      
           /_/_/_/\___/\____/\_,_/\__/                                                                                                                                                      

moOde audio player                                                                                                                                                          
             Release 6.5.2 2020-05-03                                                                                                                                                        
               © 2014 Tim Curtis                                                                                                                                                          

The programs included with Moode are free software; the                                                                                                                                      
exact distribution terms for each program are described                                                                                                                                      
in the individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.                                                                                                                                        
Moode comes with absolutely no warranties expressed or                                                                                                                                        
implied, or any other guarantees.                                                                                                                                                            

pi@moode:~ $

Now type..
sudo nano /boot/config.txt    (and enter)
you will see something like this...

disable_splash=1                                                                                                                                                                              
disable_overscan=1                                                                                                                                                                            
hdmi_drive=2                                                                                                                                                                                  
hdmi_blanking=1                                                                                                                                                                              
dtparam=i2c_arm=on                                                                                                                                                                            
dtparam=i2s=on                                                                                                                                                                                
dtparam=audio=on                                                                                                                                                                              
dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi                                                                                                                                                                    
#dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt
enable_uart=1  

use your arrow buttons to reach...    hdmi_drive=2
and change 2 to 1
then use ctrl + O  (to overwrite)
and y    (to accept)
and ctrl + X   (to exit)

Then reboot moOde and you should have video to the screen and audio to the dac.    :-)

If this does not work post details, any error messages, and the brand and model of your DAC.
----------
bob
Thanks for the replay
One thing I tryed before was "hdmi_drive" from 2 to 1, no result
I remained with the "dtparam=audio=off" because I believe that it turns off the onboard audio
I tried with ON and I has no sound with or without HDMI plugged
I added also "enable_uart=1"

The problem persists, if I plug the HDMI cable, DAC mutes, if I unplug it, DAC resumes

Now my config is:

Code:
disable_splash=1
disable_overscan=1
hdmi_drive=1
hdmi_blanking=1
dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=i2s=on
dtparam=audio=off
enable_uart=1

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_cvt 1024 600 60 3 0 0 0
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_group=2

dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus
#dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi
#dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt
My DAC is a PiFi DAC+ v2.0, that I beleave is a hifiberry-dacplus clone
First revert /boot/config.txt to stock or there might be issues.

Menu, Configure, System
Local UI display ON

There is no guarantee that the UI layout will work on your particular screen depending on its aspect ratio, resolution and reported Browser viewport size.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(06-07-2020, 11:14 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: First revert /boot/config.txt to stock or there might be issues.

Menu, Configure, System
Local UI display ON

There is no guarantee that the UI layout will work on your particular screen depending on its aspect ratio, resolution and reported Browser viewport size.

I have no problem with image, just audio, and the config.txt is stock, I only added the changes to try to resolve this issue.
I still want audio from DAC besides the fact I have an HDMI cable connected to the screen.
Found the problem, it's hardware

I do not need to plug the hdmi cable for dac to get mute. If I just touch (not connect) the hdmi metal to the metal of the hdmi port on the monitor, the audio just mutes