Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Inconsistent Tag View behaviour.
(06-11-2020, 02:56 PM)the_bertrum Wrote: From this I conclude that:
The "Track list" is populated with all tracks where Artist = selected Artist from the artist list unless AlbumArtist=compilation identifier and is hidden unless either only one Album exists in the Album list, or an Album is selected in the Album list when it contains only the tracks on the selected album.

So I expect that this bit <The "Track list" is populated with all tracks where Artist = selected Artist from the artist list> is the bit that does not work as might be expected but it does in fact give me results that I prefer once I set the compilation identifier to something not in any of my tags Smile
I've just noticed as you mention here that the track list in tag view doesn't show tracks from albums with Album Artist set to the compilation identifier.  I actually came here to report it but found this post via search. 

Additionally those artists who are only on compilation albums don't show up in the artist list at all in Tag view.

Hopefully the upcoming changes will fix this so artists from compilations show up correctly.
1. Im not able to repro "the track list in tag view doesn't show tracks from albums with Album Artist set to the compilation identifier."

For example I set Album Artist tag to "Various Artists" for all my compilation albums. When I click "Various Artists" in the the artist list all the compilation albums are listed in the Albums list and all the tracks from all the compilation albums are listed in the tracks section.

2. "Additionally those artists who are only on compilation albums don't show up in the artist list at all in Tag view."

This is because Album Artist is preferred over Artist when filtering tracks by artist. This is what enables compilation albums to be handled correctly under "Various Artists"
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(09-11-2020, 12:13 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: 1. Im not able to repro "the track list in tag view doesn't show tracks from albums with Album Artist set to the compilation identifier."

For example I set Album Artist tag to "Various Artists" for all my compilation albums. When I click "Various Artists" in the the artist  list all the compilation albums are listed in the Albums list and all the tracks from all the compilation albums are listed in the tracks section.

2. "Additionally those artists who are only on compilation albums don't show up in the artist list at all in Tag view."

This is because Album Artist is preferred over Artist when filtering tracks by artist. This is what enables compilation albums to be handled correctly under "Various Artists"

I don't think I explained the problem well.

Yes, clicking Various Artists shows all the compilation albums and tracks regardless of artist.  That's not the issue I'm reporting and I think the issue was described before me as well earler in the thread.

Let me take artist Lana Del Rey.  I have two songs by her, one where she is Artist and Album Artist, and one where she is Artist, but Album Artist is "Various Artists".  I go to tag view and select "Lana Del Rey" in the artist column.  The results are that it only finds the Album and Track where she is tagged both Album Artist and Artist.  The other song is completely missing.  The album doesn't show up in the right column, the track isn't listed at the bottom, and stats says there is only one album and track by this artist. 

I would expect Selecting "Lana Del Rey" to show both albums and both tracks.  And for it to say there are two tracks by her.

Also, say I have an artist that is only on a compilation, shouldn't that artist show up in the artist column?  And the compilation albums they're on show up to the right and the tracks at the track list when I select that artist.

From @the_bertrum :
From this I conclude that:
The "Artist list" is a list of all AlbumArtist tags plus any Artist if AlbumArtist is blank.

This is the artists only one compilation albums not showing up as artists in the list.

The "Album list" is populated with a list of all albums where AlbumArtist = selected Artist from the artist list.
The "Track list" is populated with all tracks where Artist = selected Artist from the artist list unless AlbumArtist=compilation identifier and is hidden unless either only one Album exists in the Album list, or an Album is selected in the Album list when it contains only the tracks on the selected album.
This is the missing songs.  You exclude them if AlbumArtist=compilation indentifier even though the song is by the artist selected.

These both are odd to me and different from how most music managers I've used work.
Right, the Lana Del Ray example is currently how it works. I'll have to see if it's possible to modify it to work as you suggested.
Enjoy the Music!
(09-12-2020, 12:37 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Right, the Lana Del Ray example is currently how it works. I'll have to see if it's possible to modify it to work as you suggested.

That would be great.  Thanks for listening positively to feedback.
Looking at the code I don't see a way to separate out the individual artists that belong to compilation albums without breaking the compilation album grouping itself.

it's possible that another dev might come up with a way to do this and if so I'm all ears :-)
Enjoy the Music!
(09-13-2020, 02:09 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Looking at the code I don't see a way to separate out the individual artists that belong to compilation albums without breaking the compilation album grouping itself.

it's possible that another dev might come up with a way to do this and if so I'm all ears :-)

Poking around the issue is filterLib is not finding the compilation albums because they only have Album Artist stored. (This problem can only happen if album artist differs from artist, so I'm assuming they're different and the album is stored with Album Artist as the artist.)

It does find all the songs though. So you could actually skip the album search entirely for clicks on artist and then use the song/album keys to fetch the albums from allAlbums. Then you would have all the songs and all the albums including compilation albums.

I've not checked if renderAlbums is handed the filtered songs list or not. I hope it is as otherwise you're filtering again. So if it is you already have just the songs to from the given artist to list under the compilation album in the track list.
The way I approached it was to first think about how to populate the artist list with all the artists. The way to do that is to just use the artist tag and not the "albumArtist || artist" tag logic. This works but then the compilation albums end up being listed multiple times, once for each separate artist. They would somehow have to be combined again during renderAlbums().

Something like that.
Enjoy the Music!
(09-13-2020, 10:28 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The way I approached it was to first think about how to populate the artist list with all the artists. The way to do that is to just use the artist tag and not the "albumArtist || artist" tag logic. This works but then the compilation albums end up being listed multiple times, once for each separate artist. They would somehow have to be combined again during renderAlbums().

Something like that.

I haven't looked at how you build the artist list column yet. I worked from the other end which was at least getting listed artists to find all their songs. I've not done much javascript so I make no claim to this being a good way to go, but this is my hack I just tossed together and it finds all my Lana Del Rey albums/songs.

Code:
Code Deleted... See later response

I think I saw some meta keys can do combined searches, this of course wouldn't work if albums were somehow otherwise narrowed and as I mentioned the findAlbums doesn't really do anything useful in this case either.
So I just changed reduceArtists to put artist first and album_artist second. All the artists show up in the artist column now, but they are sorted incorrectly. (The ones on compilation albums show up where the "various artists" entry would show.) I called sort on the artist list to put them in order. I suppose that could be expensive on a huge library.

I don't see any duplicate albums though. Not in tag view nor album view. I've tried sorting by year, artist, and album.

The only issue I'm seeing is that album art in the lower right doesn't work right for artists that show up on more than one compilation album.

ETA: Album art also doesn't show up sometimes when selecting a genre. I don't really use genre much so I don't know if that's new or not. It happened on some genres that didn't have compilation albums though so maybe existing behavior?

I'd like to know where the duplicate album behavior happens before worrying about album art to the side of the track list. I'm modifying the current release code. I can see you've made changes to the library code on github though. Is the problem something in those changes?