Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

WiFi issue with Tp-link TL WN722N v2
I have problem to connect to wifi with my RPI 1b with outside wifi dongle Tp-link TLWN722N v2 - RPI sees this dongle, scans wifi networks find all its around but not connect with.
To exclude the hardware malfunction, I inserted a sd card with Volumio into the same RPI 1b and the connection to the wifi network proceeded instantly ...
p.s. Volumio has 4.19.86 #1283 and moode 4.19.97+ #1293 if it can make a difference.
Try the latest moOde release 6.5.2.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(06-14-2020, 07:00 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Try the latest moOde release 6.5.2.

And anything related to the SSID name issue with special char (refer previous posts)
release 6.5.2 situation same:

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 2357:010c TP-Link TL-WN722N v2                                                                                
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing                                                                              
Device Descriptor:                                                                                                                  
 bLength                18                                                                                                          
 bDescriptorType         1                                                                                                          
 bcdUSB               2.00                                                                                                          
 bDeviceClass            0                                                                                                          
 bDeviceSubClass         0                                                                                                          
 bDeviceProtocol         0                                                                                                          
 bMaxPacketSize0        64                                                                                                          
 idVendor           0x2357 TP-Link                                                                                                  
 idProduct          0x010c TL-WN722N v2
etc
 I use password 1 digit and 7 letter - no special sumbols
I don't have special symbol on SSID and pswd. This is not problem.
I use in another player (MoOde) on RPI 3b with onboard wifi it use same wifi network and it works!
problem is with outboard dongle Tp-link TL WN722N v2 or RPI 1b may be... but this dongle works on this hardware with Volumio.
It might need an updated driver.

Try the following command. Review the help first.
Code:
sudo install-wifi --help

Be sure to capture the terminal output which will show which particular driver (if one is available) was installed. I would need this in order to bundle the driver with moOde.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
It's important that the OP do the check you propose to confirm the following, but FYI

From an earlier post

Code:
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 2357:010c TP-Link TL-WN722N v2

Looking at /lib/modules/4.19.115-v8+/modules.alias, I see

Code:
alias usb:v2357p010Cd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in* r8188eu

I see firmware for this chipset in /lib/firmware/wifi

Code:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  13904 Oct 30  2019 rtl8188eufw.bin

but I didn't find a corresponding kernel driver.

A quick check of the InterWeb™ shows lots of people crash onto the rock of RaspbianLite missing (e.g., not supporting) the driver for this old Realtek chipset.

See MrEngman's post on the Raspberry Pi Forum. He's been creating Raspbian drivers for this chipset for some years now, based on lwfinger's source code.

Regards,
Kent
Quote:but I didn't find a corresponding kernel driver.
I told about it. When I tried to instal driver TPL8188eu operation was stoped 
Quote:pi@moode:~ $ cd /home/pi/rtl8188eu
pi@moode:~/rtl8188eu $ make all
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/4.19.97+/build M=/home/pi/rtl8188eu  modules                                            
make[1]: * /lib/modules/4.19.97+/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.                                                          
make: * [Makefile:155: modules] Error 2
I wrote : when I tested TPL722 v2 with Volumio it works - Volumio has kernel 4.19.86 
Is this  finish? I must change or player or dongle?
(06-17-2020, 03:44 PM)alekmaker Wrote:
Quote:but I didn't find a corresponding kernel driver.
I told about it. When I tried to instal driver TPL8188eu operation was stoped 
Quote:pi@moode:~ $ cd /home/pi/rtl8188eu
pi@moode:~/rtl8188eu $ make all
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/4.19.97+/build M=/home/pi/rtl8188eu  modules                                            
make[1]: * /lib/modules/4.19.97+/build: No such file or directory.  Stop.                                                          
make: * [Makefile:155: modules] Error 2
I wrote : when I tested TPL722 v2 with Volumio it works - Volumio has kernel 4.19.86 
Is this  finish? I must change or player or dongle?

Hi,

maybe you could try kernel 5.4.x ... Smile Smile
According to https://github.com/gordboy/rtl8812au it should go without any problems ....
You can try the kernel 5.4.xx.

I'm running -> Linux moode 5.4.45-v8 + # 1321 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jun 10 17:46:14 BST 2020 aarch64 GNU / Linux ....
without problems
Several points here
  1. This is not an issue of Volumio kernel vs moOde kernel or of the Raspbian kernel per se. The issue is that, out of the box, Raspbian does not include the driver you want. Apparently someone has built such a driver for inclusion in Volumio. That's irrelevant here. mNV (moOde is not Volumio).
  2. I don't understand why you are trying to cross compile as your code block suggests. that's not in either the MrEngman post I referenced or in the lwfinger repo of the source code.
  3. kernel 4.19.97+ is not the kernel in moOde 6.5.2. There won't be any /lib/modules/4.19.97+ directory to build in
  4. Follow the instructions, either from the MrEngman post (they require a careful read but are easy to execute) or from the lwfinger repo (dead easy), but don't mix and match them together or with anything you've found on the InterWeb™.

Regards,
Kent