Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Thread Closed 
Solved: HiFiBerry DAC2 HD
(07-25-2020, 01:17 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @Frank79

That's the DIY spirit! Just keep in mind that you're as likely to fail as to succeed. Not that much different from my dad swapping tubes in the family TV with whatever he had on hand. It's what he liked to call "heat it and beat it engineering".  Sometimes it worked.

Regards,
Kent

[UPDATE] There's a dac driver overlay in the current moOde named "hifiberry-dacplushd". That's the one I'd try were I in your shoes. To repeat, though, we have no idea what options and control functions are exposed in this driver.

Seems like I failed. Here's what I did:

* Downloaded latest Moode release and Balena Etched' it to a microSD card
* Then, before I launched Moode for the first time with this fresh install, I edited the db file with the following lines:

Code:
INSERT INTO cfg_audiodev (id, name, dacchip, chipoptions, iface, list, driver, drvoptions) VALUES (148, 'HiFiBerry DAC2 HD', 'Burr Brown PCM1796', '100,0,FIR interpolation with de-emphasis', 'I2S', 'yes', 'hifiberry-dac2-hd', '');
INSERT INTO cfg_audiodev (id, name, dacchip, chipoptions, iface, list, driver, drvoptions) VALUES (149, 'HiFiBerry DAC2 HD', 'Burr Brown PCM1796', '100,0,FIR interpolation with de-emphasis', 'I2S', 'yes', 'hifiberry-dac', '');

I wanted to try two at once, maybe that's my mistake. Anyway, I've lauched Moode and none of those two lines are shown within the Audio Config > Devices > I2S audio device select field.

Is there some kind of compiling script I should execute before any changes in that SQL file could be taken in account?
Second test: I only kept the following entry in the db:
Code:
INSERT INTO cfg_audiodev (id, name, dacchip, chipoptions, iface, list, driver, drvoptions) VALUES (148, 'HiFiBerry DAC2 HD', 'Burr Brown PCM1796', '100,0,FIR interpolation with de-emphasis', 'I2S', 'yes', 'hifiberry-dac2-hd', '');

No more luck, still not showing in the list... Can a new db entry appear in the Audio Config when driver values are wrong?

I think this SQL file I'm editing is only a script and I need to connect to a real DB and to execute the above line so that it can actually be inserted into Moode's user interface connected database.

I've just installed sqlite to the raspberry pi, but got no luck finding the db.
Forgot to say I also tried with hifiberry-dacplushd (most probably the right value here, as I could find it declared for the DAC2 HD browsing Volumio's source code) as a value for the driver column, but with no luck.
Yes, the driver name was wrong. See my previous post.

As you've already twigged, you edited only the file used to create a new database. You need to edit the working database which I named in my previous post.

You've specified a boatload of chip options. That's uncharted territory with this driver and DAC.

Regards,
Kent
Ok, I finally managed to make the HifiBerry DAC2 HD entry showing up within the Moode Audio Config > Devices > I2S audio device select field.

I updated the Linux kernel; then I've tried a couple of sqlite commands to insert the new DAC information into the database.

Still not working. I'm stopping here.

I just flashed the latest Volumio release to the microSD.

Moode would have been my number one choice (still enjoying it on my old HifiBerry DAC+ Pro / RPi 3B+), but until it provides support for HifiBerry's DAC 2 HD, I'll probably stick with Volumio.

HifiBerryOS is not a mature enough project for my needs. No Samba share. DLNA is working but you need a third party app. Spotify integration is fine.
(07-25-2020, 01:17 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @Frank79

That's the DIY spirit! Just keep in mind that you're as likely to fail as to succeed. Not that much different from my dad swapping tubes in the family TV with whatever he had on hand. It's what he liked to call "heat it and beat it engineering".  Sometimes it worked.

Regards,
Kent

[UPDATE] There's a dac driver overlay in the current moOde named "hifiberry-dacplushd". That's the one I'd try were I in your shoes. To repeat, though, we have no idea what options and control functions are exposed in this driver.

Any progress?  could you make the dacplushd work?
Does the Hifiberry DAC2 HD work with Moode ?
Anyone?

Really want to go back to moode player, but can't because hifiberry dac2 HD isn't supported.  Sad Confused Confused
(08-17-2020, 07:11 AM)MrHifiTunes Wrote: Anyone?

Really want to go back to moode player, but can't because hifiberry dac2 HD isn't supported.  Sad Confused Confused
A bit of a 'Catch22'....for on the HiFiBerry site they say...

Quote:Q: Will ist work with HiFiBerryOS?
A: Yes, HiFiBerryOS includes  the required drivers and configurations since the April 2020 release.

Q: Will it work with distribution XXX?
A: The driver is already included in the Linux kernel since beginning of 2020. Every distribution that uses an up-to-date Linux kernel should support it out-of-the-box. Some distributions might need an update. Please ask the developers of the distribution you’re using.

Q: We’re the developers of distribution XXX and I need to test this with our distributions.
A: Please contact us by mail to support@hifiberry.com
They promote their own HiFiBerryOS and maybe they don't support or supply devices for other O/S to test and configure...??
You may want to contact HiFiBerry and enquire if they support  the MoOde O/S..(preferably before one purchases a HiFiBerry product :-)
----------
bob
Well, as they say that their product is supported and that other developers can contact them, then one suppose that everything will work fine. .... Seems NOT Sad.
Very annoying for me now....