Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Allo BOSS DAC 1.2
I have this DAC and I would like to know if this DAC is directly supported, because it isn't on a list of supported audio devices. Only a older one Allo Boss DAC (which is ver 1.0) is on that list. But it works with Moode 4.0 and even 4.1, may be there are only differences in a DAC deconding part ... I guess.

Owners - do you have any ideas how to improve sound quality of this DAC in Moode ? Some settings... of course ... if it is even possible Smile
I have an Allo Boss DAC HW Rev 1.2. It works great with Moode, and it was working with Volumio too, but sounds better with Moode. I used to use an EQ with Volumio, but I've not need it with Moode. Not sure why they should be so different, but is sounds great now anyway.

Anyway there are EQ's available in Moode if you need them.
(04-08-2018, 10:10 AM)_daRK Wrote: I have this DAC and I would like to know if this DAC is directly supported, because it isn't on a list of supported audio devices. Only a older one Allo Boss DAC (which is ver 1.0) is on that list. But it works with Moode 4.0 and even 4.1, may be there are only differences in a DAC deconding part ... I guess.

Owners - do you have any ideas how to improve sound quality of this DAC in Moode ? Some settings... of course ... if it is even possible Smile

I'm pretty sure the bump from 1.0 to 1.2 is a hardware revision since there is no announcement from Allo that there is a new driver or settings.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
I use Allo Boss DAC 1.2 with Volt as well. Like Tim said, it's a HW change. Moode config settings is the same.

The SQ already great with my settings below (highest sox resampling, turn off BT, CPU gov @ perf, TS), I think it was from Tim's recommendations before. I will probably try RuneFrost/Sinski mods later,

Code:
    CPU GOV        = performance
    MPD SCHDPOL    = TS
    P3-WIFI        = On
    P3-BT        = Off
    HDMI        = Off
    ETH0 CHECK    = On
    MAX USB CUR    = Off
    UAC2 FIX    = Off
    SSH server    = Off

A U D I O    P A R A M E T E R S  

Audio device        = Allo Boss DAC
    Interface        = I2S
    Hdwr volume        = 69
    Mixer name        = Digital
    Output stream        = Closed
    ALSA version        = 1.1.3-5+rpi3
    SoX version        = 0.1.2-2

Volume knob        = 56
    Volume mute        = Off
    Volume limit        = 100

Bluetooth controller    = On
    Airplay receiver    = On
    Squeezelite        = Off
    UPnP renderer        = On
    DLNA server        = Off

Rotary encoder        = On
    Encoder params        = 100 3 3 2 5
    Crossfeed        = Off
    Parametric EQ        = Off
    Graphic EQ        = Off
    Auto-shuffle        = Off
    Autoplay        = Off
    MPD crossfade        = Off

M P D    S E T T I N G S  

Version            = 0.20.12
    Volume control        = hardware
    ALSA device        = hw:0
    SoX resampling        = 384000:32:2
    SoX quality        = very high
    SoX multithreading    = on
    Audio buffer (kb)    = 4096
    Buffer before play    = 10%
    Output buffer size (kb)    = 81920
    Volume normalization    = no
    DSD over PCM (DoP)    = no
    Replay gain        = off
Hello to everyone , glad to be on this forum .

Boss V1.2 is nothing but a revsion of the hardware . Drivers are the same
(04-09-2018, 10:30 AM)allo.com Wrote: Hello to everyone , glad to be on this forum .

Boss V1.2 is nothing but a revsion of the hardware . Drivers are the same
Hi @allo.com,

I have the Boss 1.2 and the Allo I2S Isolator. It sounds great with Moode. 

But I am limited to 32/192 upsampling because of the delay introduced by the Isolator, as explained by Allo on another forum. I have been having an email exchange with a Rep at Allo about a new driver to enable upsampling to 32/384. But unfortunately I have come to a dead end as the Allo Rep is no longer replying to my emails. 

Could you please enquire about a new driver and post the response here, so that even better SQ can be achieved with the Boss 1.2 and I2S Isolator.

Regards,
Rob
Hi ,

unfortunatley we need to change all drivers for that to happen. So we cannot say when it will happen.
(04-19-2018, 02:57 PM)allo.com Wrote: Hi ,

unfortunatley we need to change all drivers for that to happen. So we cannot say when it will happen.

Hi @Allo.com,

Thanks for the reply.  Smile

When the drivers are available, could you announce it hear please?

Regards,
Rob
Ok we will
I just got my Allo Boss last Fri and have had it going constantly since then....Wow this has made my stereo sound better than it ever has and thats saying something....The bass is so much better/stronger from the Allo that I blew the driver in my subwoofer in the 1st 10 minutes....good thing I had a spare driver! I was playing the system at the same vol level that it had endured many times before....

Anyway my question regards the additional settings under the audio section related to the Allo. Any explanation of what the various curves available sound like? Any other suggestions or tweaks to make sound even better? I got a Anker battery to run the DAC section but have not tried it yet, just been using the single power supply.

Oh does anyone have any comments if the Katana is worth the extra money over the Allo? Is there a significant sound quality difference or is it very subtle?

Thanks
Rick
VMPS Super Tower II speakers driven by Parasound HCA220, Onkyo AVR ATM, to be replaced very shortly by an Integra 30.4