Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Moode uses 'Album artist' instead of Artist
Thank you vinn and Tim for your responses.

"Typically" is the keyword here. 
For example, I started my music collection with classical, and in this case you have a main artist (the composer) and the album artist (the conductor, pianist etc.). Composer tag is useless, since almost no program uses that at all as the main tag. 
Then I added jazz groups (Artist=main artist, Album artist = personnel) then rock etc. Now I have several thousand albums that work perfectly in Jriver and Foobar2000.

I would not request support just for the way things are in my own tagging method, I just wanted to show how complex things can get real fast - but that you already knew.

I could make a case, though, for a little more flexibility and less automatic behavior: small changes can satisfy a much larger crowd, and the one I propose, as a minimum, is the choice between Artist and Album Artist as the main tag, maybe falling back on the other if the main one is missing.

This is just a starting point, so much more can be done. For example a dropdownlist with the main tags that leaves the choice completely to the user - for example Show by <tag>, order by <tag> for each one of the three main lists, with initial defaults for those who don't care (few I guess).

Assumptions and rigidity make things look unprofessional in my opinion (I work as a developer, thirty years and counting...). Many apps can reproduce music, especially on the Pi. Tag use flexibility is the one field where all of them fall short. Since it's relatively easy programmatically, why not go for it and be the best also at this fundamental aspect?
Although Moode is stable, flexible and very well done as a player (thank you for that!) and has a lot to go for, there is nothing worse than liking a player and having your collection, tagged carefully over the years, look like a mess. It makes you look immediately elsewhere...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Moode uses 'Album artist' instead of Artist - by Giga88 - 07-07-2020, 09:50 AM