Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Embedded Cover art
Hi all
I've just started using Moode Audio with an Allo USBridge Siganture powered by a Shanti linear power supply. I'm using a Chord Hugo TT2 connected via usb. I've set up a Samba share from a Raspberry Pi 3B+ into the USBridge and I'm very happy with the audio I'm experiencing. Now the only issue I have is cover art. Most of my albums I've ripped to FLAC files but I also have some SACD's that I've ripped to DSF files. All of them play fine but some of the cover art doesn't show up. I use TagScanner 6.1.5 on a PC to tag all my files and they all show up fine when I play them through USBaudio player Pro on android. The embedded cover art is all in jpeg format but I cannot find anything wrong or different with the art not showing up as the art that does show up. I thought it may need to be in a square format but that's not it. The size of the jpeg doesn't seem to be it either. Is there a specific file size, type or format that needs to be used? Can anyone think of anything I'm missing?
Any help would be gratefully received.
(08-06-2020, 11:27 AM)channelhugger Wrote: Hi all
I've just started using Moode Audio with an Allo USBridge Siganture powered by a Shanti linear power supply. I'm using a Chord Hugo TT2 connected via usb. I've set up a Samba share from a Raspberry Pi 3B+ into the USBridge and I'm very happy with the audio I'm experiencing. Now the only issue I have is cover art. Most of my albums I've ripped to FLAC files but I also have some SACD's that I've ripped to DSF files. All of them play fine but some of the cover art doesn't show up. I use TagScanner 6.1.5 on a PC to tag all my files and they all show up fine when I play them through USBaudio player Pro on android. The embedded cover art is all in jpeg format but I cannot find anything wrong or different with the art not showing up as the art that does show up. I thought it may need to be in a square format but that's not it. The size of the jpeg doesn't seem to be it either. Is there a specific file size, type or format that needs to be used? Can anyone think of anything I'm missing?
Any help would be gratefully received.

How is your coverart stored? 

Is it embedded in the metadata tag in the track or is it a separate file alongside the track files in the album directory? 

If the latter, is the file named appropriately? The coverart routine in moOde recognizes only image files with the extension ".jpg", ".jpeg", ".png", ".tif", or ".tiff" and with the name "cover", "Cover", "folder", or "Folder".

Regards,
Kent
If the Thumbnail generator encounters any errors extracting cover art or generating a thumbnail image from it there will usually be errors in the Moode log.

Code:
moodeutl -l

Feel free to zip up one of the DSF files and PM or email me and/or @TheOldPresbyope a download link. Maybe we can repro.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Thank you for the quick response. The coverart is embedded in the metadata of each track. It's FLAC files as well as DSF files so not specific to a file format. I've just tried deleting the coverart then replying fresh cover art (embedding it) but again with no joy. I will now try embedding another tracks coverart that is working into a file that doesn't show it to see if it's the coverart that's the issue.
Due to the software running on the USBridge Signature accessing the Moode log isn't straight forward as I can't connect a mouse/keyboard (maybe ssh into it). I could remove the micro sd and plug it into a raspberry pi and see if I can view it from there?
I'll try the embedding of known cover art and get back shortly. Thanks again for helping I appreciate it.
Open System config and turn on the SSH terminal server then OPEN Web SSH terminal.

Userid = pi
Password = moodeaudio
Enjoy the Music!
Sorry, I overlooked the fact that you use TagScanner to embed the coverart in metadata. Image file names aren't the issue.

For sure you should look at the moodeutl output.

Tim's offer is a good deal though:  zip up a couple of misbehaving albums, one DSF and one FLAC, and PM links to Tim and/or me.

Regards,
Kent
Thanks again. I've tried embedding known working cover art into tracks that are not displaying cover art but they still don't show cover art. So I've deleted the embedded cover art and included a Cover.jpeg in the folder of one of the problematic albums. In the Library view the cover art doesn't display but in the other 'playing view' the cover art shows.
I'll try and SSH into the USBridge Signature and look at the log and see if that shows up anything.
Thank you. Very grateful for your help.
From moodeutl -l I get some errors:-
ALSA Invalid card number. volume set to (Invalid card number.) As I'm using a Chord Hugo TT2 attached via usb I assume this error isn't an issue?
Zend media exception: Not a valid FLAC bitstream (The files that show this error still play fine and some display cover art fine and some don't).
I'll PM with a problematic FLAC album if you could take a look when you can.

Thanks again.
Reboot and then post the Moode log.

Code:
moodeutl -l
Enjoy the Music!
@channelhugger

The first thing I notice with your FLAC files is that they have ID3v2 tags.

Code:
kent@T520:~/Downloads/Savage Garden/Affirmation$ file 01*
01 - Affirmation.flac: Audio file with ID3 version 2.3.0, contains:FLAC audio bitstream data, 16 bit, stereo, 44.1 kHz, 13090056 samples

This is incorrect. The FLAC specification calls for metadata to be stored in METADATA_BLOCK_VORBIS_COMMENT blocks and cover art in METADATA_BLOCK_PICTURE blocks.

It's easy to add an ID3 tag using Mp3tag because that's the default. We've seen users have trouble with this from time to time. One has to exercise an obscure menu option to change it for FLAC files. I haven't used TagScanner but I'm supposing the same may be true for it.

I'll check further and later try to post back a corrected version of the album for you to test.

DSF files are a different kettle of fish, however. No conclusion about them can be drawn from this exercise.

Regards,
Kent