Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

USB switch with DAC
I have a Schitt Modi 3 that has one USB input.  I'd like to use it with a Raspberry Pi (with Moode) and my tablet.  Cable swapping is inconvenient because it's hard to get to the back of the DAC.  Would a USB switch, not a hub, work?  I tried a KVM I've had lying around for a long time and was only able to get the tablet to work.  Are there better options?  I asked Schitt and was told that they'd never tried it but that it would probably be safe. 

Anyone with experience with more than one audio source connected to a single USB port?
(08-18-2020, 03:35 PM)Solved it.  I bought an inexpensive USB 2 switch.  It works great.  The Pi has to see the DAC when it boots up so I have to be sure that I\m on the right side if I'm rebooting.  Otherwise the Pi will default to the onboard audio outputs.  The switch is tiny, smaller than a Pi, so it takes up very little nightstand real estate.   nosferatu_cat Wrote: I have a Schitt Modi 3 that has one USB input.  I'd like to use it with a Raspberry Pi (with Moode) and my tablet.  Cable swapping is inconvenient because it's hard to get to the back of the DAC.  Would a USB switch, not a hub, work?  I tried a KVM I've had lying around for a long time and was only able to get the tablet to work.  Are there better options?  I asked Schitt and was told that they'd never tried it but that it would probably be safe. 

Anyone with experience with more than one audio source connected to a single USB port?
(08-24-2020, 03:38 PM)nosferatu_cat Wrote:
(08-18-2020, 03:35 PM)Solved it.  I bought an inexpensive USB 2 switch.  It works great.  The Pi has to see the DAC when it boots up so I have to be sure that I\m on the right side if I Wrote: I have a Schitt Modi 3 that has one USB input.  I'd like to use it with a Raspberry Pi (with Moode) and my tablet.  Cable swapping is inconvenient because it's hard to get to the back of the DAC.  Would a USB switch, not a hub, work?  I tried a KVM I've had lying around for a long time and was only able to get the tablet to work.  Are there better options?  I asked Schitt and was told that they'd never tried it but that it would probably be safe. 

Could you please share with us which switch you bought, and where, specs, cost etc. I'd be much obliged! BTW: *some* USB hubs do reduce jitter. I often wonder why DAC manufacturers (or equipment with built-in DACs) don't offer more USB inputs. Particularly receivers and (pre) amps have multiple SP/DIF inputs and/or same outputs, but only one USB input. It's not that they need to duplicate any hardware, just a simple switch, even a mechanical switch could do the switching for input selection (I mean a real old school switch as opposed to an electronic hub or switch).

Thanks,
marco