Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Audio Streamer in a wood block
Hi,

Thanks for all the encouraging comments :-). Yes Kent, first approach was fans in parallel, as they are simple two wires ones, I suspect they won't have a voltage range very large. I fear in series, each one receiving 2,5V, they won't move at all...

Another solution to have them both in parallel, but in serie with a small resistor to lower just a bit the 5v, having it high enough to have them running, but just enough, no more...

I'll have to test this on breadboard first, as the are rated 5v 0.15A, hence they should have each 33,3ohms, so if I want to drop voltage accross them put in parallel, I'll need something like a 1,5ohm resistor 0.2W... Currently I don't have that but I'll try and find it.

Regards,

Greg
Ok, tested! fans in serie: no go!

So I'll have to find another way...
little fans = big noise...  I use the largest 12 v fan and run that from 5v then use a fan control script (linked below)

It does not look as though you have room for a large fan...so would have to be inventive....perhaps mounting the fan in a sub plinth or directly into the cabinet your build would sit upon ?.

https://howchoo.com/g/ote2mjkzzta/contro...ure-python
----------
bob
Hi Drone7,

Thanks for the ideas and the Howchoo link too. I have a few spare transistors here and there, I could give a try to the python script to control the on/off status of the fan, and play around with it. But to do this, I have to figure out (or ask HiFiBerry) the GPIO pins they are using. The script is written to use GPIO-pin 17, which is already used by the Remote Pi board (basically, it was 18, but the HiFiBerry DAC seems to be using it, hence I switched to 17 following advice of the Remote Pi instructions.

The Idea of a bottom second half or Plinth for the case was one of mine too, if I did not achieve to cram everything inside 3,5cm thickness minus the wooden top (5mm). Currently it's thight but ok. I'm waiting for the small DSP board module from HiFiBerry. This one is to go on top of the DAC... And that will be quite a feat. Maybe I'll have to partly dismantle and route a tiny bit more in order to have the DAC sitting even deeper into the box. I'll have somehow to remake another ribbon connector, mine is already quite just in the current config.

I wonder if the python script of your pointed tutorial could not be adapted to somehow pulse the 5V signal so as to achieve lower speed... But what is the electric noise introduced into all the circuit/ground/raspberry Pi that could deter the audio quality of the hole...

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions :-).

Greg