Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Accented Characters in Local Playlist
Up to now I have been running several moOde players in headless OpenHome mode, fed by MinimServer on a Pi 4, and controlled by BubbleUPNP on whatever Android device is handy. The moOde Web interface is normally only used for maintenance. All very satisfactory, and thanks to Tim and the gang.

Now I have put together a self-contained player with a DAC+PA HAT on a Pi 3B+, moOde 8.1.1, and a library on a USB flash drive. The library includes a number of themed playlists (m3u Extended) with anything from 10-400+ tracks, all in a _playlists directory. It's sometimes convenient to control this player through the Web interface from a Windows 10 PC, and this is where the oddity appears.

If I go to the Library screen and browse USB>MP3S>_playlists I see my playlists and I can do Clear/Play on one, and the player responds by loading and starting to play the list. However, on the Player screen the playlist may show fewer tracks than I expect. The missing tracks all turn out to have accented characters, mainly songs in French (Jacques Brel fan here) and occasional heavy rock umlauts. The same tracks can be browsed on the Library screen and played from there, also showing correctly on the Player screen, so it seems to be just playlist parsing that is going awry. The playlists are assembled on Windows machines in Playlist Creator, and character encoding is Windows 1252. The same playlists delivered by UPnP also work as expected.

So, any ideas what may be happening?

Colin
Post a download link to one of the playlist files and I'll see if I can repro.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(07-07-2022, 04:46 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Post a download link to one of the playlist files and I'll see if I can repro.

Hi Tim, Thanks for coming back.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iqtlgqxmaqykhy...s.zip?dl=1

That has 75 tracks but I'm only seeing 59 load.

Thanks,
Colin
For me the playlist generates a fatal console error when I try to edit it in Playlist view. It doesn't look like the playlist was created by MPD which is the only playlist format supported by moOde.

Someone would prolly have to create a "Playlist Importer" to convert this type of playlist.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(07-07-2022, 02:32 PM)ColinM Wrote: Up to now I have been running several moOde players in headless OpenHome mode, fed by MinimServer on a Pi 4, and controlled by BubbleUPNP on whatever Android device is handy. The moOde Web interface is normally only used for maintenance. All very satisfactory, and thanks to Tim and the gang.

Now I have put together a self-contained player with a DAC+PA HAT on a Pi 3B+, moOde 8.1.1, and a library on a USB flash drive. The library includes a number of themed playlists (m3u Extended) with anything from 10-400+ tracks, all in a _playlists directory. It's sometimes convenient to control this player through the Web interface from a Windows 10 PC, and this is where the oddity appears.

If I go to the Library screen and browse USB>MP3S>_playlists I see my playlists and I can do Clear/Play on one, and the player responds by loading and starting to play the list. However, on the Player screen the playlist may show fewer tracks than I expect. The missing tracks all turn out to have accented characters, mainly songs in French (Jacques Brel fan here) and occasional heavy rock umlauts. The same tracks can be browsed on the Library screen and played from there, also showing correctly on the Player screen, so it seems to be just playlist parsing that is going awry. The playlists are assembled on Windows machines in Playlist Creator, and character encoding is Windows 1252. The same playlists delivered by UPnP also work as expected.

So, any ideas what may be happening?

Colin

The playlist looks just like an ordinary one, with some comments, and it is being loaded (almost) correctly.

I'd suggest you abandon the Windows 1252 encoding, in favor of UTF8.

Cheers, Al.
(07-07-2022, 09:39 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: For me the playlist generates a fatal console error when I try to edit it in Playlist view. It doesn't look like the playlist was created by MPD which is the only playlist format supported by moOde.

Someone would prolly have to create a "Playlist Importer" to convert this type of playlist.

Hi Tim, OK, thanks for trying. I've done some more experimenting and @Nutul has the answer. I've resaved the playlists in UTF8 (but not as .m3u8) and they load and play correctly.

Cheers,
Colin
(07-08-2022, 07:38 AM)Nutul Wrote: The playlist looks just like an ordinary one, with some comments, and it is being loaded (almost) correctly.

I'd suggest you abandon the Windows 1252 encoding, in favor of UTF8.

Cheers, Al.

I was just going to say that! Yep, that's the answer. Thanks, Al!