Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Squeezlight sampling + USB Dac in Roon
Hi trying Moode for the first time and although I am struggling to get it to work 100% I was able to get music streamed and this is clearly the best SQ I got from any distro I tried. 

I am running Moode latest version 6.7.1 on Allo USBridge Signature connected to an Allo Revolution Dac. Am à Roon user so installed Roon bridge and could see now the box in Roon. I was able to get Squeezlight renderer working directly as I had it already enabled in Roon (have used Gentooplayer earlier). However sampling rate is an issue. When playing DSD I cannot get it to encapsulate in DoP mode plus I get a down sampling to 24/176.2. In Gentooplayer I can spécifique the sampling rate of Squeezlight in the web gui, but in Moodeaudio it seems I need to this in CLI. I tried to look for instructions but no success. 

In addition I configured the DAC in MPD which was able to recognise it directly. However in Roon the ALSA device refuses to play and when trying to play directly in Moode I also get an ALSA error. 

Appreciate help here
You have a lot of moving parts in your configuration but here's some info that might help.

1. Menu, Configure, Audio
EDIT Squeezelite config

You will need to enter the resampling options at the end of Other options.
https://ralph-irving.github.io/squeezelite.html

2. When the squeezelite renderer is turned ON in Audio config it checks with LMS to determine it's own ON/OFF state. If LMS is not running then squeezelite defaults to ON and hogs the audio output. This will prevent any other audio application from playing. Typically you see an error something like "ALSA unable to open output device"

3. The Revolution DAC accepts both Native DSD bitstream and DoP. When playing via MPD, the DSD over PCM (DoP) setting in MPD config determines whether MPD attempts native or DoP.

I have no idea what happens with a Roon/Squeezelite setup or how to configure it.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Like Tim, I have no idea what goes on with a Roon/Squeezelite setup.

To add a footnote though, the Squeezelite renderer code in moOde includes a patch which enables DSD material to be played through it natively. See the list of Audio codecs in the Settings on the Squeezelite config screen --- flac,pcm,mp3,ogg,aac,alac,dsd. (m>Configure>Audio>Renderers>Edit Squeezelite config)

It isn't clear to me where an encapsulation of the DSD material into DoP would occur or what piece of software would do it in your configuration.

Good luck with your system. I hope you can get where you want to be.

Regards,
Kent
This helped a lot.

I turned off Squeezelight and the DAC issue in Roon was solved immediately. This eliminated the « ALSA unable to open output device » error. In fact to get squeezelight working in Roon I needed to turn off all LMS servers in my LAN. Using Gentooplayer I was able to maintain both options working in Roon. I could select between outputting via squeezlight renderer and MPD (directly to USB DAC which would show as the Roon end point. For now I cannot both options to live together in Roon when using moodeaudio.

As to the sampling i’ll have a look at this later on or post the question in the Roon forum.
Apologies but still struggling with this combo, but this time inside Moode Audio. So I have now Squeezelite setup on my Moode installation and can get Roon to work. However when I try to open the Moode.local gui I am locked by a message: « squeezelite Active » and below one radio button « turn off ». Only way to continue into the web GUI is to turn off which I don’t want. I really want to continue using this setup as the sound I am getting is just breathless. My setup never sounded so good and by a distance!
Roon would need to be able to control Squeezelite's ON/OFF state. This is different from turning it ON/OFF in moOde which simply runs Squeezelite or kills it.

Squeezelite's internal ON/OFF state is controlled by LMS. When it's turned off via LMS Squeezelite remains running but it releases the audio output and runs a script in moOde that returns control back to Moode UI and MPD.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(09-07-2020, 11:31 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Roon would need to be able to control Squeezelite's ON/OFF state. This is different from turning it ON/OFF in moOde which simply runs Squeezelite or kills it.

Squeezelite's internal ON/OFF state is controlled by LMS. When it's turned off via LMS Squeezelite remains running but it releases the audio output and runs a script in moOde that returns control back to Moode UI and MPD.

Thanks for this. Yes I figured this out myself in the meantime by reading other previous posts. 
No issue there. I get the best sound quality in my setup when in Squeezelite mode. Not sure why - still need to investigate and test more. I will also test with another LMS server.