Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

direct play to USB
Interesting finding. The ASR review found jitter much higher with Toslink and Coax compared to USB.

[Image: sanskrit-10th-mk-%E2%85%A1-usb-dac-jitte...-png.55222]
E30 also measures better with USB compared to Coax. "USB is superior since the DAC has its own clock rather than chasing the input."
"Likely inaudible with music."

[Image: untitled-1-png.54998]
(09-17-2020, 08:31 PM)hifinet Wrote: Interesting finding. The ASR review found jitter much higher with Toslink and Coax compared to USB.

[Image: sanskrit-10th-mk-%E2%85%A1-usb-dac-jitte...-png.55222]

I'm using USB for output from Moode, optical from my TV, leaving coax from the CD player.

The Sanskrit sounds cleaner, more "space" between the instruments, better bass definition (in my opinion).

The CD6004 uses a CS4398 DAC.  The new CD6007 uses an AK4490, so I suspect it would sound very similar to the Sanskrit (AK4493).

Cheers,

Phil

To be clear, are you comparing the CD6004 spinning CDs and feeding the SMSL via coax 16/44.1 and Moode 6.7 feeding the SMSL via USB upsampling 32/384 and 0.22~git (and otherwise untweeked) from NAS files/locally connected thumb drives? Corresponding with another member regarding 0.22~git. Yes, it sounds better, but no measurable difference.
Sorry, should have made it clearer. Cd6004 via SMSL vs CD6004 to amp. I couldn't hear that much difference between CD player to SMSL and Moode FLAC.

My point being that modern USB DACs such as the SMSL and Topping sound a lot better than DACs in the average 'mid-range' hifi CD players of just a few years ago.

Phil

I've been upgrading DACs since the 2003 Squeezebox, which sounded better than the moderately priced older CD player. I thought ripping CDs with EAC was a better solution to reliably extract the data. At the time, I was marking the edges of the CD with a permanent black felt tip marker. For the one and only time, I was single blind tested by a doubting audiophile friend, I got 6 for 6 (reject null hypothesis with greater than two SDs, I think). I was listening for a specific character, blacker background. Met another audiophile at the time who was cutting 45 degree edges in CDs. So I think this was reducing internal reflections and misreads in the single read CD players of the time.