Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

possibility of transferring the system in a USB Hard Disk
I haven't posted in a while but the Library enhancements we are working on will prolly address most of your issues.

Can't you just write the image to an SSD? It should boot like a USB stick providing it's supported by RaspiOS USB boot routine.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(10-14-2020, 11:25 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I haven't posted in a while but the Library enhancements we are working on will prolly address most of your issues.

Can't you just write the image to an SSD? It should boot like a USB stick providing it's supported by RaspiOS USB boot routine.

Happy to hear your are working on library enhancements.
As for moving the system to ssd, USB 3.0 of Pi4 is fine for this. For instance, Volumio offers this transition to usb hdd as an option  just after instaliling through the sd card.
What does "moving the system" mean?

What don't you just write the moOde image to an SSD and boot from that?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
perhaps @cofot28  believes that  install always happens from sd card ? and is unaware that the downloaded image can be written to sd-card or usb stick or ssd and the Pi booted from any of those for install and subsequent use.? Smile
----------
bob
(10-15-2020, 01:08 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: perhaps @cofot28  believes that  install always happens from sd card ? and is unaware that the downloaded image can be written to sd-card or usb stick or ssd and the Pi booted from any of those for install and subsequent use.? Smile

I must say, it's the first time I can recall that being said in such clear and unambiguous terms.  Are there any steps lurking in the "and the Pi booted from any of those" part.
----------------
Robert
(10-15-2020, 09:26 AM)the_bertrum Wrote:
(10-15-2020, 01:08 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: perhaps @cofot28  believes that  install always happens from sd card ? and is unaware that the downloaded image can be written to sd-card or usb stick or ssd and the Pi booted from any of those for install and subsequent use.? Smile

I must say, it's the first time I can recall that being said in such clear and unambiguous terms.  Are there any steps lurking in the "and the Pi booted from any of those" part.

There's nothing special about the moOde distribution image. It can be installed and run in all the ways the Raspberry Pi OS image can be and with all the same caveats. 

The possibility has been discussed before, cf, http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...3#pid24673

It isn't obvious to me that moOde needs a built-in routine to effect this.

Regards,
Kent
(10-15-2020, 01:59 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(10-15-2020, 09:26 AM)the_bertrum Wrote:

There's nothing special about the moOde distribution image. It can be installed and run in all the ways the Raspberry Pi OS image can be and with all the same caveats. 

The possibility has been discussed before, cf, http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...3#pid24673

It isn't obvious to me that moOde needs a built-in routine to effect this.

Regards,
Kent
Needless to say that I tried through rufus  in Win10 and with Linux Mint corresponding tool and I miserably fail. I should also add that I have no intention to invest seriously in pi4 ecosystem. For my everyday work I have my pc which has at least 5 times more processing power and is much simpler for me to run. I came to the world of Pi only because of it's vertues in audio fidelity. If people like me are part of moode's target groups then my view is that more efforts are needed to simplifyi, providing options within the menus and system, and last but not least plain language manuals for ordinary melomans/audiophiles. Until then I will keep using my moode pi4 set up in association with foobar through uPnP and enjoy music.
Huh.

I've been flashing uSD cards and USB thumbdrives from moOde/DietPi/Volumio/RPiOS/you-name-it disk images with Belena Etcher in Win10 and Linux Mint for several years with nary a problem. Worked first time, every time.

Regards,
Kent
(10-15-2020, 07:09 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Huh.

I've been flashing uSD cards and USB thumbdrives from moOde/DietPi/Volumio/RPiOS/you-name-it disk images with Belena Etcher in Win10 and Linux Mint for several years with nary a problem. Worked first time, every time.

Regards,
Kent

You, me, and millions the world over... Smile

https://www.balena.io/etcher/
----------
bob
(10-15-2020, 07:43 PM)DRONE7 Wrote:
(10-15-2020, 07:09 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Huh.

Regards,
Kent

You, me, and millions the world over... Smile

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Well it seems that flashing is the easy part. Then it seems that pi needs also some kind of firmware update to boot from a usb (in my case an ssd with a sata-usb cable. Is it so? In any case when I put it directly even to my latest pi4 8gb nothing happens.