Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Large mp3 playlist unusable
I have a mp3 library with about 16000 titles.
I can built the library from it and play Albums or even multiple albums selected by band just fine.

When I select the whole library to (random) play the first song plays fine, then the UI gets unresponsive and the next song is played in very short "bursts".
The SSH shell is unresponsive as well.

Forcing a reboot does not resolve the issue, the website either does not load properly or hangs completely.

Using only my Flac library with about 10000 titles works fine.

Even not mounting the MP3 library not from NAS but from attached USB stick does not change the behavior.

i am completely frustrated since otherwise everything works fantastically well.
Try this...;-)
http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...5#pid23545

Quote: To activate Auto-shuffle random play do the following:

1. Menu, Audio config
2. Turn Auto-shuffle ON
3. Return to Playback panel
4. Stop playback
5. Click the Random button underneath the volume knob

2 tracks should be automatically added to the playlist and the first of the two tracks should start playing.
as tracks are played then new random tracks are added automatically....autoshuffle.

(Currently=you are trying to load your whole library and your Pi will choke on that :-) hence the unresponsive behaviour)

bob
----------
bob
The slowness is from the browser running out of memory, we could try to work around it by only keeping part of the list in memory at any one time but that limits some other things we can do. We’ve actually made moode much more responsive with large playlists over the years but we’re not miracle workers. Wink

Another option is to make moode smarter about what the library views show and a large playlist is a good candidate as a “source” but that’s probably not going to happen soon unless someone else has been working on it.
Aaaahh
@DRONE7 : Works like a charm , thank you for this workaround.
However, if I understand you correctly this works on the whole library?
So if I have my two aforementioned data sources, the palylist will contain entries from both, I cannot restrict the random play to one set of files?

@swizzle : Thank you for the explanation, however I have tested it on an RP4 with 4 GB... and I do not understand why creating the playlist works, I can even scroll around in it until I start the play.
Can you tell me what the other players (e.g. Rune and volumio) do dofferent as the same scenario works there?
Thanks in advance
As @swizzle mentioned loading really large playlists in moOde can cause slowness. The memory issue is prolly due to the fact that 2x the memory is required for the playlist object when its loaded because there is one copy for the main play Queue and another copy for the Queue thats displayed in CoverView.

Btw our project doesn't review the code of, or compare moOde to other players because the code bases are completely different. We focus strictly on our own code, improving it and trying to fix issues that are reported.

I have no idea what version of moOde you are running but there are several options in the upcoming moOde 7 series that may be useful for your usage scenario. See the screen shots below.

Auto-shuffle tag filters

Library filters

Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Thank you Tim,

I look very much forward to moOde 7.