Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

One Album will not Play
Hey folks,

I've got my .flac library on my home PC and have it shared in Moode 6.7 via NFS. Every album plays just fine with the exception of one. The culprit album plays fine on my PC. 

I've tried remounting the share, rebooting, updating the library, etc, all to no avail. 

Not sure what to try next, so any help would be appreciated.
(09-16-2020, 07:35 PM)Lttlwing16 Wrote: Hey folks,

I've got my .flac library on my home PC and have it shared in Moode 6.7 via NFS. Every album plays just fine with the exception of one. The culprit album plays fine on my PC. 

I've tried remounting the share, rebooting, updating the library, etc, all to no avail. 

Not sure what to try next, so any help would be appreciated.

Just came across this error on the track information: 

Code:
readMpdResponse(): error: response $str[0]=(ACK [5@0] {} Space expected after closing '"'
The album prolly has corrupt tags. Try re-ripping and re-tagging it.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(09-16-2020, 08:22 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The album prolly has corrupt tags. Try re-ripping and re-tagging it.

Unfortunately, this wasn't the issue. As usual it was something simple. Might qualify as a bug, I don't know, you'd be the judge of that. 

The artist name had " " in the title. The artist was Bonnie "Prince" Billy. After I removed the " " from around "Prince", Moode was able to see the album in folder view, were previously it could not. It was also able to play the album as usual afterwards. Problem solved. 

Thanks again, 

David
I ran a quick test and added "Prince" to the artist tag of a track in my Test_mixed collection and there were no issues in the Library.

I'm still leaning toward a corrupt tag that caused you issue. Maybe the process of editing it removed the corruption. If you still have the original track feel free to zip it up and PM me a download link. I'll see if I can repro.
Enjoy the Music!
(09-19-2020, 10:26 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I ran a quick test and added "Prince" to the artist tag of a track in my Test_mixed collection and there were no issues in the Library.

I'm still leaning toward a corrupt tag that caused you issue. Maybe the process of editing it removed the corruption. If you still have the original track feel free to zip it up and PM me a download link. I'll see if I can repro.

Most interesting. I"ll step by step for you. Maybe there was something in the steps.

1) Completely removed artist, album and tracks from ~/Music
2) Created new folder in ~/Music named Bonnie "Prince" Billy
3) Created new album folder in ~/Music/Bonnie "Prince" Billy/ named Master and Everyone
4) Unzipped digital downloaded album (tracks only) to folder in step 3.
5) Navigated to Moode and Updated Library
-problem persists
6) Navigated to Moode/Library/MPD regenerate database
--problem persists
7) Opens Kid3 tag editor and remove all tags from Track 1 in culprit album
--Track 1 disappears from Album view in Moode
8) Navigates to folder view in Moode and notices Bonnie "Prince" Billy appears, but nothing inside.
9) Adds back the tags to track 1 manually
-problem persists
10) Navigates to ~/Music/Bonnie "Prince" Billy and removes the quotation marks from "Prince"
problem resolves.

Probably just an isolated incident that is solved for me. I'm sure if it was something systemic you'd hear more about it from other users.
@Tim Curtis

Since OP chose not to share his misbehaving album, I chose to make one of my own by simply copying the 'Stereo Test' album to /mnt/SDCARD/Bonnie\ \"Prince\"\ Billy. I then doctored the metadata of the single track to include double quotation marks in artist and artistsort fields.

I can repro the odd behavior. MPD seems to know about all the metadata entries---they show up in mpc list artist output, for example, and the track shows up in mpc list track output. OTOH, the track doesn't show up in the Library>Folder view, in the track list when the album is selected in Library>Tags view, and neither plays nor displays when it's added to the queue.

I'll zip up my test album and ship it off to you.

Regards,
Kent
@Tim Curtis

Addendum: Both MPD's awareness of the double-quoted metadata values and the OP's test that his track "reappears" when he removed the double-quotes from the album directory name suggest that it's the latter which is the problem, not the metadata. In Linux file and directory names can contain any printable character except the solidus (forward slash). As we know, protecting some characters is hard.

Regards,
Kent
Yes I had this same problem with a few songs. mpd in moode was unhappy with files with double quote (") in the filename. I replaced them with single quotes (') and it was fine.

For the record songs whose filenames begin with a period also don't show up. Not a big surprise as that's the "hidden" file indicator on linux. I found both of these when I sorted my music with a script. The leading period problem also applies to directories, I'm not sure about the double quote.
Oh double quotes in the file path :-O

Good luck with that.
Enjoy the Music!