Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Hide Volume Knob
Hi,

Lets try to develop concrete usage scenarios that reveal where the current UI is deficient. Then I can take a look at how to improve it :-)

So far we have:

1. @BlackSmile "no more knobs moving play pause shuffle repeat buttons and a strait progress bar" for the Pi-Touch
2. @bifi1960 "more space for the playlist and you could use a larger font"

There is just not enough information at this point to begin to understand whats not working well in the UI.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(07-16-2018, 01:42 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: 1. @BlackSmile "no more knobs moving play pause shuffle repeat buttons and a strait progress bar" for the Pi-Touch

There’s really not that much space that’d be freed up by removing the knobs. The playlist and cover are both basically 38% of the screen and the last thing anyone wants is to have to scroll to access a control. Plus people love the big stupid things, they’re like the loveable mutt of screen controls, they practically lynched the poor sweet volume slider when you added it to the Pi screen in place of the volume knob, lol.

@bifi1960 if text on the screen is hard to read that’s another concern, the “adaptative” part of the ui was in large part due to wanting to improve accessibility. Theoretically we’ll eventually be able to offer a way to adjust the base font size and everything (including the playlist) will scale gracefully.
(07-17-2018, 08:43 AM)swizzle Wrote:
(07-16-2018, 01:42 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: 1. @BlackSmile "no more knobs moving play pause shuffle repeat buttons and a strait progress bar" for the Pi-Touch

There’s really not that much space that’d be freed up by removing the knobs. The playlist and cover are both basically 38% of the screen and the last thing anyone wants is to have to scroll to access a control. Plus people love the big stupid things, they’re like the loveable mutt of screen controls, they practically lynched the poor sweet volume slider when you added it to the Pi screen in place of the volume knob, lol.

@bifi1960 if text on the screen is hard to read that’s another concern, the “adaptative” part of the ui was in large part due to wanting to improve accessibility. Theoretically we’ll eventually be able to offer a way to adjust the base font size and everything (including the playlist) will scale gracefully.

So by removing the - in my opinion - useless knobs you will have 62% of the screen for the playlist.
I use moode only as a Webradio and nothing else and it would be nice, and you don't have to worry about the
font size, to offer a choice like the browse menue to choose between textbased Playlist and an iconbased one.
And then only display the icons and no text below.
Like station buttons on a real radio.
moOde generally reflects what most users want so reverting to a text based UI or having a bunch of settings to switch between text and graphic is probably not in the cards simply because the majority of requests that I've received over the years are for a more graphical UI with station logos, cover art etc.
Enjoy the Music!
(07-17-2018, 12:05 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: moOde generally reflects what most users want so reverting to a text based UI or having a bunch of settings to switch between text and graphic is probably not in the cards simply because the majority of requests that I've received over the years are for a more graphical UI with station logos, cover art etc.

And that's exactly what i would like to have.
As i said, make more space on the page by removing the knobs and display the station logos instead of
the Playlist.
So - a more graphical UI :-))
(07-17-2018, 01:16 PM)bifi1960 Wrote:
(07-17-2018, 12:05 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: moOde generally reflects what most users want so reverting to a text based UI or having a bunch of settings to switch between text and graphic is probably not in the cards simply because the majority of requests that I've received over the years are for a more graphical UI with station logos, cover art etc.

And that's exactly what i would like to have.
As i said, make more space on the page by removing the knobs and display the station logos instead of
the Playlist.
So - a more graphical UI :-))

This makes our ability to provide our own staion logos via the gui essential.

TODO list already has "Add/Remove logos from user added radio stations" :-) but I don't see the the knobless UI making the cut.
Enjoy the Music!

I think that list view should always be an option.  For some of us that's easier.

And for those with disabilities using Moode via text-based screen readers in their web browsers, text usually wins for accessibility.

Just my 2p worth.

Totally agree regarding accessibility. The constraint on the moOde project is that we have 10X more requested features than we have time or money to develop and so feature requests compete with one another for the TODO list, and also compete with bug fixes and critical updates. Of course we could do more if we had more resources.
Enjoy the Music!
Ok, I understand well that it is very complicated to have everyone happy.
If I can, I'll draw something.  Big Grin

btw, about graphical presentation :
  1/ is it possible to stop coverview from starting while the playlist is stopped/paused ?
  2/ previously talking about radios, is it possible to invert radio name with "streaming sources" or do something for this big stream text (see scennshot).

Rasptouch case with RPI3 + I2C 16x2 screen and IR port
Audiophonics I-Sabre V2.1 DAC ES9023 TCXO