Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Wifi / setup / configuration guide
Hi all!

I'm trying to use Moode in Wifi mode.  all is good in ethernet mode.  but I follow instructoin on how to configure the wifi at this link.

https://github.com/moode-player/moode/bl.../setup.txt

but DHCP always fails to asign an IP adress!  What then?  Instructions don't go past that point.  I always used Moode wired so never had the need to use WIfi.  I expected it to take 5 minutes but now it takes hours.  Anything to do with my router setup?  Or do I need a wifi dongle?  I have the Pi-3B 1GB

I've been running in similar issues as others
From the instructions at the link you've given...

Quote:1. CONFIGURE FOR WIFI CONNECTION

- Ethernet mode

a) Leave eth cable connected

b) Insert wifi adapter (while Pi running)

c) http://moode

d) Menu, Configure, Network

e) Configure a wifi connection

f) Menu, Power, Shutdown

g) Unplug eth cable

h) Power on

at what point do you have a problem ? (a-h) and what error messages are there ?
----------
bob
I get up to the end.  when I reboot, I cannot connect to my rpi3.  I was thinking of using a monitor (wich I don't have) to have some feedback of the unit.  

I saw this in system information (picture attached).  It seems an IP adress is not assigned. Why?  hell....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It looks to me as if the WLAN is not allowing the connection from Moode. Moode asks to join "Sarah et Martin", "Sarah et Martin" does not give Moode an IP address to connect as.
Check in your wireless router to be sure it is configured to allow your Moode device to connect.
----------------
Robert
@McFly

My guess is that either you've entered an incorrect WiFi password (e.g., your error) or your WiFi password is correct but is some combination of characters which is indigestible to moOde (e.g., potentially a bug in moOde).

The former is more likely.

The latter is unlikely but not impossible. Is the password expressed in plain ASCII or are you using a different characterset, e.g., to include diacritical marks? Maybe @Tim Curtis can comment on what's legal these days.

(Remember, DON'T post passwords in forum messages! Make one up if needed for discussion.)

Regards,
Kent
I'd examine the Router's WiFi log for errors then maybe look at dmesg for errors

dmesg | grep wlan
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Two comments-

With a fresh install of moode-r6.7.1 on an RPi3B:

1) I tried out the passphrase "Déjà Vu1" which doesn't happen to be my AP's passphrase. Whether I enter this in moOde's Network Config screen or directly in the wpa_passphrase utility I get the same 32-byte PSK so now I'm pretty confident moOde is ok with diacritical marks.

2) I tried booting moOde with WiFi enabled and configured for the correct SSID and this incorrect passphrase while still connected to my router via Ethernet. I had enabled debug logging just for good measure. After boot, I can repro the OP's System Information output, as I expected. I can't find any useful warning or error messages in the various logs.

With this, all I can say is check and recheck that the correct passphrase is entered.

Regards,
Kent
Did your Router's WiFi log show a rejected association attempt?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(10-06-2020, 05:09 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Did your Router's WiFi log show a rejected association attempt?

I was afraid you'd ask me that Blush

It's a Verizon FiOS G1100 Quantum Gateway. I don't understand the admin settings well enough to be sure it'd be logging such events, and the information in the log entries are pretty spartan.

Certainly I don't see any log entries which explicitly say a wireless client failed to associate. 

I do see the DHCP entry for an IP assignment to the player's ethernet interface.

Would that I had a different router/AP! Once we move my Internet service will be provided by Comcast instead of Verizon. Only time will tell if their equipment is more informative to the technically minded.

I suppose someday when I'm especially bored I'll boot an old ASUS router/AP to which I flashed OpenWRT or Tomato or such years ago, setup a wireless subnet on it, and see what reports I get there when I try to associate with incorrect credentials.

Regards,
Kent
(10-06-2020, 05:09 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Did your Router's WiFi log show a rejected association attempt?

attempted at 11:27 router time. chehecked 245346 times for the correct password. nothing.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)