Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

A moOde integrated tube amplifier
I meant to post this a while back but got overrun with stuff to do. This is a moOde integrated amp I built last year. The back end is a single-ended EL84 amp driven by a 6N1P. The front end is an Rpi 3b+ with a HifiBerry Pro+ hat powered by a Meanwell supply. The software is moOde 6.7.1 pretty much as shipped. Connection is wifi. Source is a Qnap NAS. I added a halt button to ensure a normal shutdown for the pi before turning the amp off, otherwise it is pretty much what you see.

So, how does it sound? In a word, great! In fact I was surprised by how well it sounded after a burn in period. The coupling of digital and analog tech really worked, highlighted the best of both worlds. There is enough power to drive a relatively efficient speaker; I am using GRS 8FRs in transmission line towers of my own design. 

This was a really rewarding hobbyist project that I can recommend to anyone.

Happy listening,

John

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That looks a very tidy build ! 
Love the 'Halt' button... would like to see the whole system.... maybe some pictures in the  'show your audio system' thread.. Smile 

http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=32
----------
bob
(10-17-2020, 09:39 PM)DRONE7 Wrote: That looks a very tidy build ! 
Love the 'Halt' button... would like to see the whole system.... maybe some pictures in the  'show your audio system' thread.. Smile 
http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=32

Presenting my whole system will have to wait for a bit, but you might get a laugh out of what's on my workbench now. That is a 2E22 single-ended amplifier that I just finished and is burning in. To its left is a first generation Sony Playstation, still one of the best CD players ever. It features a single bit d/a converter created with top-of-the-line discrete components. (To save money they went to a chip in the next generation.) Good ones go for big bucks on the auction sites, but if you are lucky you can find one in a thrift store for $10. A little careful cleaning and lubrication and replace a few caps and you are good to go.

Happy listening,

John

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

@Listener

Obviously a fake. Nobody's real workbench could possibly be this neat.  Tongue

Seriously, though, this is nifty work. 

Seeing those 2E22 bottles threw me back to my salad days working with WWII surplus gear. I love the glow of filaments.

Regards,
Kent
(10-18-2020, 04:19 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @Listener

Obviously a fake. Nobody's real workbench could possibly be this neat.  Tongue

Seriously, though, this is nifty work. 

Seeing those 2E22 bottles threw me back to my salad days working with WWII surplus gear. I love the glow of filaments.

Regards,
Kent

Correct on both counts Kent. 

That workbench is usually awash in detritus, but I finished the amp last week--well these things are never really finished are they?--and cleaned it the next day. Entropy, having been set back for only an iota, will reassert itself shortly.

The 2E22 was indeed a WWII tube, found mostly in 'portable' radio transmitters. It is a direct-heated pentode and it sounds great in audio applications.

Happy listening,

John