Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Idea: MONO driver, IQ Audio DigiAmp+ as bi-amp, crossover
Hello Everyone, 

I’m a total newbie on this forum and DIY streaming devices, though have a bit of experience now with Raspberry Pi.

This is my granddad’s radio made in the 50’s. I Gutted it out, installed a new KEF Uni-q driver, a Rpi 3b+ and a DigiAmp+, and would like to turn it into a cool looking Airplay player in the living room.

The radio has a single driver, so it will be mono.

My plan was to wire up the tweeter to the left, then the woofer to the right channels of the Digiamp, effectively bi-amping the driver. 

Then create a mono signal and apply parametric EQ on the separate channels, so it acts like a crossover so I can fine tune the sound (and spare the cost of a crossoverSmile

Does anyone have some tips how to achieve this, or if this is even possible?
Hi,
 you could go to MPD config to resample to mono, and use the new DSP to EQ high and low frequency on the left and right. (DSPs should be able to do that)
(03-23-2021, 03:53 PM)Alaini93 Wrote: Hi,
 you could go to MPD config to resample to mono, and use the new DSP to EQ high and low frequency on the left and right. (DSPs should be able to do that)

yes, after a few hours of tinkering, I had a few issues because the DSP keeps bugging out in mono.

I added a mixer to create the mono signal in DSP, then add high and low pass filters to the left and right channels.

my main issue is to create a digital crossover because the raw speaker sounds terrible without the crossover, and have no idea how to set it up properly.
if you EQed the woofer, for instance, 3000hz and up to -db (lowest setting) and the tweeter 2800hz and down to -db (lowest).
You should get a kind of crossover.
(03-23-2021, 05:07 PM)Alaini93 Wrote: if you EQed the woofer, for instance, 3000hz and up to -db (lowest setting) and the tweeter 2800hz and down to -db (lowest).
You should get a kind of crossover.

thank you I'll try this!
you should get a capacitor inline with the tweeter, as a safety for the tweeter, value will need to be defined (8 or 4 ohm tweeter), and 2000/1500hz, to protect it.
Also you could just put one as a passive crossover at the frequency you want and be done with it, no EQ needed then, or just to correct your sound.