Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Unwanted side effect of using the "albumartist" tag and "various artists"
Hi,

I am quite new to moode which I just installed on an Audiophonics streamer. Everything works perfectly but I have some concerns with the way moode's library handles compilation albums.

The most part of my classical CD collection has been ripped (EAC + mp3tag) and stored on a USB key which copies are used by my other players including a car multimedia sytem. Tagging works fine.

With reference to https://www.musicpd.org/doc/html/protocol.html#tags, I only use the follwing tags which are supported the same way by all players : "album", "artist", "title", "track", "genre", "date", "disc" (for multi-disc albums). These tags are systematically filled (no blank field left). For classical music "artist" = "composer"

Regarding compilation albums, there is no need for a further tag to identify them, as a compilation album is by definition an album where all the tracks do not have the same "artist" tag. I even wonder why such compilations are needed to be identified.

For compilation albums, Moode requires the "albumartist" tag to be filled (though according to mpd "The exact meaning of this tag is not well-defined", which should lead to different implementation behaviours).

Not using the "albumartist" tag leads Moode to create for each compilation album as many albums as different artists tagged in its tracks. This produces an overcrowded album view which does not reflect the physical CD collection.

Using "albumartist" for compilation albums leads moode not to index the artists of these albums. As a consequence, i) artists which only appear in one compilation do not appear when browsing artists ii) tracks from a compilation by artists who are indexed from other albums are not listed.

Moode furthermore requires a unique "Various Artists" value for the "albumartist" tag of all compilation albums (which is not required according to the tag definition). This leads to the very strange creation of a new "Various Artists" artist which becomes the unique artist of all compilations albums while ignoring the"artist" tag value of the various tracks.

Q1 : Did I miss someting or is this behaviour by design ?
Q2 : Will these issues be adressed in Moode 7 ?

Thank you very much for moode (I just made a donation !)

Kind regards.
(11-19-2020, 06:41 PM)chano22000 Wrote: Hi,

I am quite new to moode which I just installed on an Audiophonics streamer. Everything works perfectly but I have some concerns with the way moode's library handles compilation albums.

The most part of my classical CD collection has been ripped (EAC + mp3tag) and stored on a USB key which copies are used by my other players including a car multimedia sytem. Tagging works fine.

With reference to https://www.musicpd.org/doc/html/protocol.html#tags, I only use the follwing tags which are supported the same way by all players : "album", "artist", "title", "track", "genre", "date", "disc" (for multi-disc albums). These tags are systematically filled (no blank field left). For classical music "artist" = "composer"

Regarding compilation albums, there is no need for a further tag to identify them, as a compilation album is by definition an album where all the tracks do not have the same "artist" tag. I even wonder why such compilations are needed to be identified.

For compilation albums, Moode requires the "albumartist" tag to be filled (though according to mpd "The exact meaning of this tag is not well-defined", which should lead to different implementation behaviours).

Not using the "albumartist" tag leads Moode to create for each compilation album as many albums as different artists tagged in its tracks. This produces an overcrowded album view which does not reflect the physical CD collection.

Using "albumartist" for compilation albums leads moode not to index the artists of these albums. As a consequence, i) artists which only appear in one compilation do not appear when browsing artists ii) tracks from a compilation by artists who are indexed from other albums are not listed.

Moode furthermore requires a unique "Various Artists" value for the "albumartist" tag of all compilation albums (which is not required according to the tag definition). This leads to the very strange creation of a new "Various Artists" artist which becomes the unique artist of all compilations albums while ignoring the"artist" tag value of the various tracks.

Q1 : Did I miss someting or is this behaviour by design ?
Q2 : Will these issues be adressed in Moode 7 ?

Thank you very much for moode (I just made a donation !)

Kind regards.

I think you'll find all you need in moode 7, there will be an option to identify albums by the folder they are in.  There always needs to be something other then "album" to identify unique Albums because there is nothing to prevent two distinct albums sharing the same name (think Greatest Hits).  Moode 7 will give the option to use the albumartist tag, or use the folder structure.
----------------
Robert
Additionally all tags that can be considered "artist" including performer, conductor, artist and album artist will be listed in the artists column in Tag view. Also if a track has multiples of these tags they will also be listed. The Library in moOde 7 is very well suited to Classical collections and is much more tolerant of different tagging schemes.

I know it's a long thread but many of the upcoming features with screen shots are discussed in "Upcoming moOde 7 series" thread. http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=2856
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Hi Tim,

Thank you very much for taking, care of my question and having anticipated its concern ! Your answer confirms Moode to be The perfect audio player.

Looking forward to get Moode 7 available !

Kind regards.

Philippe