Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Show your audio system
@normand  Looks very useful ! and tidy build.

Those 'rotted foam' surrounds were used by so many manufacturers and proved to be the weak link in otherwise well made drivers.
After having to replace them (twice) on the passive radiators in mine I spent a lot of time finding, fitting, and re-configuring them with rubber surrounds.

On the other side of the coin my very first set of drivers and speaker build from 1978 are still working and in daily use. Kef with rubber surrounds...and the occasional application of oil of wintergreen to keep them supple and within spec.
----------
bob
Oil of wintergreen?

I might try that on my vintage KEF Q60's although the surrounds are still like new and I'm not so sure about the minty smell from that oil ;-)
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(06-11-2020, 11:46 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Oil of wintergreen?

I might try that on my vintage KEF Q60's although the surrounds are still like new and I'm not so sure about the minty smell from that oil ;-)

If it ain't broke... Smile 

Yes, there is very little WAF in a living room reeking of sports therapy....and it takes several weeks to become bearable .... ask me how I know.. Wink 

Here is a good, well thought out and applied test of several treatments to 'soften' old hard rubber.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnGsllKvheQ
----------
bob
Woah, a bucket of boiling oil on the grill :-0
Enjoy the Music!
(06-11-2020, 09:35 PM)normand Wrote: For my portable speaker, I converted an old pair of Paradigm ADP150 Bi-pole surround speakers.

Had to replace the rotted foam woofer surrounds and replace the single  crossover to dual crossover to separate the L/R speaker channels.

The audio is a piZero W with HiFiBerry Amp2 and 128g sd card. Also sdded 6 button controller and MQTT broker support when connected to the  internet. 

All my music is with me wherever I bring the speaker even if there is no internet.

[Image: AEfnATm.png]

Coolness :-)

Where do u use it?
Enjoy the Music!
Mostly camping and backyard.  Sometimes at farmers markets and even at event halls when they can't figure out their sound systems.
I have a pair of Cambridge Audio R50 speakers bought second hand in 1982. They seem to get heavier as the years go by. Me getting weaker. The B139 and B110 rubber surrounds are still ok. The very earlier ones did rot away. Replacement drivers are still available here in the uk under the Falcon brand.
@TheMetalHead Replacing the surrounds was easier than expected.  If anyone has similar problem with surrounds, don't be afraid to replace yourself.  Save a few bucks and upscale your old speakers that otherwise would have been destined for the trash.
My build started back in  2017 April and is build arround a DDDAC1794 Non Over Sampling DAC.

[Image: dddac1794_a.jpg]

In addition to the Raspberry Pi, there are multiple digital inputs to choose from. The digital output is there to compare other dacs with the same source.

[Image: dddac1794_back-768x292.jpg]

Little bit crowed inside:
  • 3 power supplies; dirty digital 5V, clean digital 5V and a 12V for the DAC itself.
  • Custom soft-power on circuit (small relay board+ experimental pcb)
  • Raspberry stack with: Pi3, Allo Isolator, Hifiberry Digi+ Pro (I2S output is used for the dac)
  • Double Relayboard to the back for source switching
  • DDDAC1794 with a mainboard and two dac boards
  • Use trans for outputdecoupling
  • OLED display 

[Image: dddac1794_internals.jpg]

More details about the build can be found at dddac1794build.

It is connected to Lake People HPA RS-08 with a Sennheiser HD800s and an Audiolab 8000c with two Philips 22RH544 speakers.
I like Moode sound wise, its interface and active community, but also important for such build is that Moode is easy to customize and extend.

ps
But when you get itchy again to mod, remember Alan Parsons quote “Audiophiles don’t use their equipment to listen to music. Audiophiles use your music to listen to their equipment” so don't forget to also enjoy listening to the music ;-)
@bitlab

Wow! Just wow!

I've seen commercial gear that wasn't as thoughtfully designed and carefully crafted.

And thanks for the Alan Parsons quote Smile

Regards,
Kent