Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Instruction Guide Boot USB. Move sd-card to USB Drive
Yes, you've posted that already.... you used a different method and imager and got a different result.

Hopefully you had the recommended backup of your sd card and so can retry using my method and post any errors.?
----------
bob
Finally I succeeded in creating an working USB stick.
With etcher I constantly got a corrupted rootfs as well as with dd. Don't know why, strange things happen.
I also repaired the stick with gparted, but it still refused to boot.
Finally I used the Ubuntu inbuilt image writer with success.

I know that this is nothing that might be of any information value, but it was rather frustrating. 

But the bottom line is that Raspberry Pi Imager is the fastest way to update EEPROM bootloader.
Another confirmation that the workflow is correct. You can save one SD card if you want. Just shut down Moode (running on SD), clone the content to the SSD, then write the Pi Lite image on the sd card, boot, run upgrade, shut down, plug in ssd, done.
I just can't get moode to boot from usb. I have RPi 3B, which should be able to be booted from usb. Actually I did manage to get rasbian to boot from usb (followed this procedure https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-raspb...-boot-usb/), but with moode no luck. I tried with sd card containing bootcode.bin (https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentatio...-boot-mode), but no luck.

Any ideas what to try? What am I missing?

I guess RPi 4 would be easier to get booted from usb. I'd get one, but the availability is null Sad
Adding .bin files to moOde is not necessary for USB boot.

There is an option in System Config for enabling USB boot on the Pi-3* models. 

Code:
USB boot (Pi-3*) ENABLE (i)
For Pi-3B, 3B+, and 3A+ this option programs OTP memory to enable booting from USB drive. After OTP is updated the system can boot from either uSD card or USB drive.

Its a one time operation and once enabled the message below will appear under the option.

Code:
USB boot is already enabled
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
The other thing to check is that the 'boot flag' is set on your USB drive/stick.

https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentatio...boot-modes

The above document says earlier that boot from USB 2 is supported. Are you using a USB 3 device ? Have you tried with a USB 2 device ?

I recall I had a similar problem with a 3B and tried several USB sticks until I found one that worked.
----------
bob
Thanks, that solved the problem. I had USB 3 device, haven't noticed that only USB 2 is supported.
Glad you are up and running now.

Note for anyone having the same problem here is the relevant information from the RPi document noted earlier.
Quote:USB Host Boot Mode
Note
Host boot is available on Raspberry Pi 3B, 3B+, 3A+, and 2B v1.2 only. Raspberry Pi 3A+ only supports mass storage boot, not network boot.
The USB host boot mode follows this sequence:
  • Enable the USB port and wait for D+ line to be pulled high indicating a USB 2.0 device (we only support USB2.0)

So use a USB 2.0 flash drive.
----------
bob