Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: can see no files in libary
Hello all,

i'm running moode on 2 Raspis (1x RPi 2 with LAN, 1x RPi 1B with WLAN) and i'm very satisfied with this excellent software.
The RPi 2 is connected with a USB HDD and all is fine. Libary is updated and the access to the HDD is without Problems.

Now I tried to get my MP3-Files from a NAS (USB HDD connected on my FritzBox) and the trouble began.
After updating the Libary I can see not any *.mp3 - file in the Folders of the NAS. All I see is a *.m3u (Playlist)...

Via ssh I can see the *.mp3 - files in the Folders of the NAS (when typing "ls  /mnt" and so on) but not in the libary  Huh

The Libary is updated and regenerated.
Same problem on both RasPis!

Don't know whats to do...

thanks for reading!

greetings
Tom
--
started with a ZX 81... today challenged by RasPi   :D
Hi Tom, is this of help..?
http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...light=.m3u

http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...1#pid13061

I am reminded of English chair bodgers by your username..;-)
----------
bob
(12-12-2020, 03:33 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: Hi Tom, is this of help..?
http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...light=.m3u

http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...1#pid13061

I am reminded of English chair bodgers by your username..;-)

Hello DRONE7,

thank you very much for your reply. But these threads don't cover my problem (or I do not understand the connection... Undecided ).

I've made more tests:
another NAS, another Share, only 1 Folder with only a few *.mp3 Files --> after regenerating the Libary I can see every File in the Folder

my conclusion: perhaps the USB-HDD at the FritzBox incudes too many *.mp3 Files, so the mpd gives up (the Libary-regenerating lasts about 2 days...)
I don't know... Confused
--
Two days :-0

How many files?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
couple of threads specific to Fritzbox...may have some clues ?

http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...t=fritzbox
----------
bob
(12-13-2020, 12:57 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: couple of threads specific to Fritzbox...may have some clues ?

@Tim Curtis : the HDD contains > 100.000 Files in many Folders

@DRONE7 : thanks a lot for the Links - i searched the forum in many ways, but I thougt the FritzBox is not suspected, because i see the *.mp3 files in the /mnt - directory.
But theres an interesting flag in one reply (smb parameter) called "noserverino" - I try and will report after the update of the libary...

big greetings!

Tom
--
You might want to try monitoring the MPD log during database update. Each log entry is time stamped which can be used to determine how long on average its taking to index each file and if there are any errors.

Code:
cat /var/log/mpd/log

tail -f /var/log/mpd/log
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(12-13-2020, 11:44 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: You might want to try monitoring the MPD log during database update. Each log entry is time stamped which can be used to determine how long on average its taking to index each file and if there are any errors.

Code:
cat /var/log/mpd/log

tail -f /var/log/mpd/log

Thank you, very useful.
No errors so far...
Update is running

Edit:
oh, sometimes there are messages like this:

Note: Trying to resync...
Note: Hit end of (available) data during resync.
Dec 13 13:23 : mpg123: mpg123_getformat() failed: Message: I am done with this track.
Dec 13 13:23 : ffmpeg/mp3: Format mp3 detected only with low score of 1, misdetection possible!
Dec 13 13:23 : ffmpeg/mp3: Failed to read frame size: Could not seek to 5119.
Note: Illegal Audio-MPEG-Header 0x00000000 at offset 4092.

ca. 20 times so far i can see. then the updateprocess continues...
--
(12-13-2020, 12:14 PM)Mann_mit_Hut Wrote:
(12-13-2020, 11:44 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: You might want to try monitoring the MPD log during database update. Each log entry is time stamped which can be used to determine how long on average its taking to index each file and if there are any errors.

Code:
cat /var/log/mpd/log

tail -f /var/log/mpd/log

Thank you, very useful.
No errors so far...
Update is running

Edit:
oh, sometimes there are messages like this:

Note: Trying to resync...                                                                                                                                                                    
Note: Hit end of (available) data during resync.                                                                                                                                              
Dec 13 13:23 : mpg123: mpg123_getformat() failed: Message: I am done with this track.                                                                                                        
Dec 13 13:23 : ffmpeg/mp3: Format mp3 detected only with low score of 1, misdetection possible!                                                                                              
Dec 13 13:23 : ffmpeg/mp3: Failed to read frame size: Could not seek to 5119.                                                                                                                
Note: Illegal Audio-MPEG-Header 0x00000000 at offset 4092.        

ca. 20 times so far i can see. then the updateprocess continues...

I'll be interested to hear if the "noserverino" parameter does the trick (I'm guessing it won't, but this wouldn't be the first time my guess is wrong). If it doesn't, then here's an off-the-wall possibility.

Some programs write shadow files for media files which imitate the file name but don't contain legal media content. (This might even be true for the Fritz!Box Media Server function, if you've ever invoked that. I can't find useful online documentation to tell me exactly what this function does internally.)

I assume that MPD is also listing the name of each file that causes the sample output you posted. Does it appear in the storage directory you would expect? Can you post the output of the ls -alR command for that directory (and if possible the directory above if the file doesn't appear where you expect; the command will scan the directories recursively). Here's an example for a directory on my NAS (not one which causes any problem, though). 

Code:
pi@moodelr: $ ls -alR /mnt/NAS/OMV-MUSIC/rips/James_Galway-In_Dulci_Jubilo
/mnt/NAS/MUSIC/rips/James_Galway-In_Dulci_Jubilo:
total 297948
drwxrwsr-x+ 2 pi users        0 Dec 12 21:52  .
drwxrwsr-x+ 8 pi users        0 Dec 12 22:11  ..
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 pi users 22650836 Dec 12 21:49 '01.Fantasia on '\''In dulci jubilo'\'' (Overton).flac'
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 pi users  9205444 Dec 12 21:49 '02.Il est né le divin enfant.flac'
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 pi users 10288480 Dec 12 21:49 '03.Es ist ein Ros'\'' entsprungen (Praetorius).flac'
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 pi users  7843249 Dec 12 21:49 '04.Prelude on '\''Es ist ein Ros'\'' entsprungen'\'' (Brahms).flac'
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 pi users 13531289 Dec 12 21:49 '05.Messiah- Pastoral Symphony - Pifa (Handel).flac'
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 pi users  7935132 Dec 12 21:50 '06.Kling Glöckchen klingeling.flac'
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 pi users  3339989 Dec 12 21:50 '07.O Jesulein süss - O dolce Gesù.flac'
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 pi users  3471595 Dec 12 21:50 '08.Prelude on '\''O Jesulein süss'\'' (Fischer).flac'
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 pi users 42305647 Dec 12 21:50 '09.Adagio (Albinoni).flac'
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 pi users  8686027 Dec 12 21:50 '10.Ein Kindlein in der Wiegen.flac'
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 pi users  9060724 Dec 12 21:50 '11.O Tannenbaum.flac'
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 pi users 34957943 Dec 12 21:51 '12.6 Christmas Pieces (Mendelssohn).flac'
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 pi users 13001442 Dec 12 21:51 '13.Adeste Fideles.flac'
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 pi users 12292656 Dec 12 21:51 '14.Ave Maria (Bach-Gounod).flac'
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 pi users  8920144 Dec 12 21:51 '15.Zu Bethlehem geboren.flac'
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 pi users 11319360 Dec 12 21:51 '16.Still, Still, Still.flac'
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 pi users 23401048 Dec 12 21:51 '17.Canon (Pachelbel).flac'
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 pi users 12187536 Dec 12 21:52 '18.In dulci jubilo.flac'
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 pi users  5861859 Dec 12 21:52 '19.Prelude on '\''In dulci jubilo'\'' (Bach).flac'
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 pi users 12425771 Dec 12 21:52 '20.O du Fröliche Otugioioso Natale.flac'
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 pi users 15368421 Dec 12 21:52 '21.Jesu, Joy of Man'\''s Desiring (Bach).flac'
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 pi users 16871522 Dec 12 21:52 '22.Stille Nacht (arr. Miesner).flac'
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 pi users   121750 Dec 12 21:52  Cover.jpg

Also, in a previous message you said

Quote:I've made more tests:

another NAS, another Share, only 1 Folder with only a few *.mp3 Files --> after regenerating the Libary I can see every File in the Folder

Does "another NAS" mean not your Fritz!Box? Have you tried this same test on your Fritz!Box? If you can reproduce the issue with a small set of files it would help in diagnosing the problem. While 100+K tracks isn't a record it's a lot and as you see it takes time to scan, especially over a network.

It's even possible the large number of media files is a problem for the Fritz!Box itself if one of its processes is maintaining an internal cache for, say, its Media Server function. Do you possess a powered USB hub? If so, have you tried connecting the HDD to the RPi via the hub (hence removing the Fritz!Box from the equation) and trying to generate the Library.

Finally, your screenname made me smile too but for a different reason than memories of 'English chair bodgers'. For years I've been known as the Man in the Hat at the local high school where I have volunteered for years. My trademark is a felt fedora I wear every day. (It turns out school policy is "no hats" but they forgot to tell me when I started and I guess now no one felt like harrassing the oldest guy in the building.)

Regards,
Kent
@Mann_mit_Hut 

Oops, I forgot to mention the two utility commands that can be used quickly to verify the content of a media file, file and mediainfo. Never leave home without them.

Examples:

Code:
pi@MoodeR700:/mnt/NAS/OMV-MUSIC/James and the Giant Peach Album $ file '01 Overture.mp3'
01 Overture.mp3: Audio file with ID3 version 2.2.0, contains:MPEG ADTS, layer III, v1, 192 kbps, 44.1 kHz, Stereo

pi@MoodeR700:/mnt/NAS/OMV-MUSIC/James and the Giant Peach Album $ mediainfo '01 Overture.mp3'
General
Complete name                            : 01 Overture.mp3
Format                                   : MPEG Audio
File size                                : 3.14 MiB
Duration                                 : 2 min 12 s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Constant
Overall bit rate                         : 192 kb/s
Album                                    : James and The Giant Peach Limited Edition Cast Recording
Track name                               : Overture
Track name/Position                      : 1
Track name/Total                         : 19
Performer                                : World Premiere Cast
Composer                                 : Pasek & Paul
Recorded date                            : 2014
Writing library                          : iTunes 12.1.0.50
Cover                                    : Yes
Cover MIME                               : image/jpeg
iTunPGAP                                 : 0

Audio
Format                                   : MPEG Audio
Format version                           : Version 1
Format profile                           : Layer 3
Duration                                 : 2 min 12 s
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 192 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate                               : 38.281 FPS (1152 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 3.04 MiB (97%)

Regards,
Kent