Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

response time problems
This has been going on for me since some time in v 6.  Before that it wasn't a problem.   In a room where the network signal strength is around -50 dBi as reported both on Moode and my tablet wifi analyzer app the UI response time is very slow.  On a fresh install performance is fine but after a day or so it degrades to the point that it's almost impossible to refresh the screen or get it to respond to a touch.  I'm currently running v 7 on a pi 4 with 2 GB RAM.  I've used several different micro SD cards.  I've checked them for bad sectors and directory system problems before installing.  This happens in one room in the house.  In the room next door to it, a few feet farther from the router with the same walls in the signal path, performance is fine. 

The particular location makes me think network problems but I can see the NAS where the music files live fine from my tablet and phone there.  Several DLNA clients on the phone and tablet have no problem playing music there.  I can also play music on my tablet from the file manager app that sees the NAS as SMB shares. 

When the browser screen "locks up" I can generally reboot through SSH.  When I access the Moode instance from my desktop machine, which is in a different room, it generally has decent response time. 

Am I cursed?  <g>
- Ethernet cabling routed through the walls (ceiling in my case)
- Powerline adaptor (Ethernet over Power Lines)
- Wifi Repeater/Booster

Before doing any changes maybe you need to recollect/examine any changes you made in ANY hardware devices and applications since, I quote, 'since some time in v 6'... Go back to 'basics': new build, new configuration, no scripts, no mods, no displays... just Radio sources and USB storage...

Good luck.
What 'call me now, Michael' said ! Big Grin

Then do a walk about in that room looking for anything that may impinge upon the signal....microwave...heat-pump remote...appliances plugged in.. televisions etc etc.  The Enid Lumley effect...
https://hifiauditions.wordpress.com/2020...id-lumley/

What about using an external USB wifi device ? and plugging it to a longish USB cable then doing a walkabout ?

Just checking though...some wall-boards/dry-wall have an insulation/vapour barrier that is metallic sheet...that may be blocking wi-fi signal ?
----------
bob
The wifi signal is strong on the room, consistently in the neighborhood of -50 dBm both on 5 gHz and 2.4.  Other wireless devices, tablet and phone work fine there.  

(12-28-2020, 08:02 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: What 'call me now, Michael' said ! Big Grin

Then do a walk about in that room looking for anything that may impinge upon the signal....microwave...heat-pump remote...appliances plugged in.. televisions etc etc.  The Enid Lumley effect...
https://hifiauditions.wordpress.com/2020...id-lumley/

What about using an external USB wifi device ? and plugging it to a longish USB cable then doing a walkabout ?

Just checking though...some wall-boards/dry-wall have an insulation/vapour barrier that is metallic sheet...that may be blocking wi-fi signal ?
I'm going to try the case fan hypothesis. This Pi came with a case fan. Since I'm using an external USB DAC I used the fan. We'll see. I moved it to a different room with a fresh install yesterday and the library build stopped about 1/4 of the way through.
I'm currently going with hardware anomaly. Two other Pis, a 3B and a 4 work fine in the same spot.
I'm becoming mildly obsessed. I was wrong about the other Pis. It takes them longer to grind to a halt but it happens. I loaded up the current Raspbian and tried VLC. It accessed my NAS in UPNP mode without a problem. Apparently it's not a network hardware or software problem. VLC works fine with a display but I'd prefer to control it from a different device. I know, VNC is an option. Seems like my tablet and phone don't have something that browser control of Moode requires. In Android 10 on my tablet, a Lenovo with 4 GB RAM and MediaTek octacore processor I get frequent browser timeout error messages--close or wait--when running Moode in that room. I have a large library--99K files--and wonder if that could be my problem. My desktop machine with 16 GB of RAM controls the Moode instance in that room without difficulty.
There is a know timeout problem with Chrome and some devices on Android since more or less 1 year, you should try with Firefox, the performance is way way way better in my case.