Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: No sound from 192k stream from Qobuz
I've recently started working with moode using a RPi 3B with a Digi+ card.  I've got a near vintage Harman-Kardon AVR-7200 that has a built in DAC that I want to use for streaming from Qobuz. 

I believe I have everything set up  correctly,
  • Can connect to moode via uPNP client (bubbleupnp)
  • Can see the Qobuz stream in the moode window
  • Have a light indicating on my receiver that it's receiving the 192k stream, but I get no sound when using this input.  I do get sound with spotify and the built in radio stations.  
  • Have tried setting the MPD mixer settings to hardware (which seems to make sense) and software (and increase the volume).
I am pretty linux savvy and have looked at the log and dmesg output, but can't figure out how to fix this issue.

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions?

Much obliged.
Update: I can get sound if I set the Qobuz output setting to 320bps.
Strangely,
1. only streams encoded as 96kHz work, 192kHz, don't make a peep
2. My upnp client indicates the stream is 96kHz
Update: I can get sound if I set the Qobuz output setting to 320bps.
Strangely,
1. only streams encoded as 96kHz work, 192kHz, don't make a peep
2. My upnp client indicates the stream is 96kHz
No sure why you mentioned 320bps. Regardless, you need to set Qobuz's "Stream quality" to "FLAC (up to 192K)" in moOde's UPnP configuration page. I have tested it before. But, you need to find the 192kHz sound tracks from Qobuz. There are not many available there.
(01-10-2021, 03:26 AM)efung Wrote: No sure why you mentioned 320bps. Regardless, you need to set Qobuz's "Stream quality" to "FLAC (up to 192K)" in moOde's UPnP configuration page. I have tested it before. But, you need to find the 192kHz sound tracks from Qobuz. There are not many available there.

Thanks for the input.  It's good to know Qobuz works. 

I mentioned 320bps because that's the third option under: Configure -> Audio -> uPnP/DLNA -> Edit -> Qobuz -> Stream Quality -> MP3 (320K)

Second, /var/log/mpd/log gives the following error:
Jan 11 08:52 : exception: Failed to decode http://192.168.0.2:57645/proxy/qobu/7CE0...0B64F.flac;

These two points make me think it's a decoding issue.
(01-11-2021, 03:04 PM)moodemike Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 03:26 AM)efung Wrote: No sure why you mentioned 320bps. Regardless, you need to set Qobuz's "Stream quality" to "FLAC (up to 192K)" in moOde's UPnP configuration page. I have tested it before. But, you need to find the 192kHz sound tracks from Qobuz. There are not many available there.

Thanks for the input.  It's good to know Qobuz works. 

I mentioned 320bps because that's the third option under: Configure -> Audio -> uPnP/DLNA -> Edit -> Qobuz -> Stream Quality -> MP3 (320K)

Second, /var/log/mpd/log gives the following error:
Jan 11 08:52 : exception: Failed to decode http://192.168.0.2:57645/proxy/qobu/7CE0...0B64F.flac;

These two points make me think it's a decoding issue.

I've never used Qobuz but for sure MP3 isn't FLAC. A quick look at the Qobuz site suggests they no longer serve up MP3 tracks so perhaps this particular moOde setting has been "rendered inoperative by events" as the Nixon administration liked to say.

Regards,
Kent
@moodemike
Going from the manual it seems the Harman-Kardon AVR 7200 is capable of PCM playback of sample rates upto 96KHz, no mention of 192KHz support.
Select the FLAC upto 96KHz option and you should be fine.
(01-11-2021, 03:36 PM)vinnn Wrote: @moodemike
Going from the manual it seems the Harman-Kardon AVR 7200 is capable of PCM playback of sample rates upto 96KHz, no mention of 192KHz support.

Count on me to overlook the obvious  Blush
(01-11-2021, 03:57 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote:
(01-11-2021, 03:36 PM)vinnn Wrote: @moodemike

Count on me to overlook the obvious  Blush

Thanks for your responses.  I appreciate your time and the software project immensely.

@vinnn On page 7 of the manual it references the "192kHz Indicator: This indicator lights when the
input source has a 192kHz bit rate." I've even seen the indicators turn on in the past, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding something.

@TheOldPresbyope The receiver works with both MP3 natively or PCM.  I'm assuming the digi+ card is sending PCM signal to the receiver.  Anymore details are out of my league.  I'm guessing that the signal I'm getting is really for 44.1kHz/16 and the Qobuz setting name 'MP3 (320K)' is just outdated. (UPDATE: Nope, it's not. Qobuz still supports 320K MP3)
Just to update things. I reinstalled Moode and was able to get the 96k to work, but not the 192k. I bit more searching shows that other's have had a similar problem with a HiFi Digi+ (e.g. [here]( https://support.hifiberry.com/hc/en-us/c...erry-Digi-) and [here](https://support.hifiberry.com/hc/en-us/c...erry-Digi-) ).