Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Wifi Issue
You can examine the system log, /var/log/syslog, for problems related the WiFi subsystem as well.

But all this is Linux 101.

For every combination of components I've thrown at it, moOde "just works" right out of the box without any recourse to any of the manual GUI and cli utilities that Raspberry Pi OS offers.

Regards,
Kent
Tim Curtis Wrote:If you used rasps-config or ssh commands to alter system or network settings then the config that moOde needs to see is prolly broken.

The way to troubleshoot WiFi adapter issues is to first start with a FRESH image then try the following:

1. Plug in Ethernet cable and WiFi adapter.
2. Power up the system
3. Menu, Configure, Network
4. Enter SSID and password then SAVE
5. Power off
6. Unplug Ethernet cable
7. Power up the system
8. Wait several minutes for system startup and either successful WiFi connection, AP mode startup or no WiFi
9. Plug in Ethernet cable

Then connect via SSH and do the following

1. Check syslog for wlan related errors

Code:
cat /var/log/syslog | grep wlan

2. Verify that the moOde generated wpa_supplicant.conf file is valid. It should look like below with your SSID and a numeric WPA pre-shared key. This key should exactly match the output of the following command:

Code:
wpa_passphrase "SSID" "password"

Code:
pi@rp3:~ $ sudo cat /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=US

network={
       ssid="xxxxxxxx"
       scan_ssid=1
       psk=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
}

Thank you so much for your reply, Mr Curtis. I have done exactly what you asked me to, in fact, I downloaded a FRESH image again and followed your instructions carefully step by step. But no success.

1. Here are the error messages of syslog for wlan related errors - 

Code:
Jan 25 09:33:42 moode dhcpcd[335]: wlan0: waiting for carrier
Jan 25 09:34:52 moode dhcpcd[369]: wlan0: removing interface
Jan 25 09:34:53 moode dhcpcd[633]: wlan0: waiting for carrier
Jan 25 09:35:23 moode hostapd[653]: nl80211: deinit ifname=wlan0 disabled_11b_rates=0
Jan 25 09:35:23 moode hostapd[653]: wlan0: interface state UNINITIALIZED->DISABLED
Jan 25 09:35:23 moode hostapd[653]: wlan0: AP-DISABLED
Jan 25 09:35:23 moode hostapd[653]: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-TERMINATING
Jan 25 09:35:23 moode hostapd[653]: hostapd_free_hapd_data: Interface wlan0 wasn't started
Jan 25 09:35:23 moode dnsmasq[658]: dnsmasq: unknown interface wlan0
Jan 25 09:35:23 moode dnsmasq[658]: unknown interface wlan0
Jan 25 09:35:25 moode hostapd[670]: nl80211: deinit ifname=wlan0 disabled_11b_rates=0

2. I also checked the output of wpa_passphrase "SSID" "password" and confirmed that the psk matched with that in the wpa_supplicant.conf, using the command that you supplied. And just so you know, my password only contains uppercase, lowercase alphabets and numbers. No special characters. 

And I also tried a fresh image of Volumio yesterday (this time without ethernet), to my surprise, it started in AP mode. And normal WiFi connection also worked out of the box. I also tried the picoreplayer, and that also worked with my WiFi adapter. So I can confirm that my WiFi adapter is fine, and it also supports AP mode. 
@TheOldPresbyope I think you misunderstand me. I'm not doubting all the hard work that Mr Curtis, you and the whole team has done, I'm highly grateful to all of you for this wonderful free software. Moodeaudio clearly has a lot of advantages against all the other audio servers for the pi, that is why most people recommend Moode so much, reading and watching good reviews about Moode has led me here. But I'm not here to complain about the issues of a free software, I only want to help to make it better.  

Regards,
Abhiroop
It's not obvious to me whats going on in your situation since WiFi and AP mode works perfectly for the vast majority of moOde users.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(01-25-2021, 04:22 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: It's not obvious to me whats going on in your situation since WiFi and AP mode works perfectly for the vast majority of moOde users.

The command that fixed it for me was - 
Code:
wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -D wext -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -B dhclient wlan0

One of the error messages that led me to the above command was - 
Code:
nl80211: Driver does not support authentication/association or connect commands
Something to do with - "the standard nl80211 doesn't support your device, you should use the old driver wext"

source: 
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions...spberry-pi
Regards, 
Abhiroop
That suggests an issue with the driver for the WiFi chip used in that product. Something like this should be posted in the Raspberry Pi Linux repo.
Enjoy the Music!
OK, thank you. My WiFi works fine with the Raspberry OS though(also OSMC, picoreplayer, Volumio, etc). 
Here is my adapter as cited in https://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters

Code:
Leoxsys
Leoxsys LEO-NANO150N USB Adapter,tested on Raspbmc,Auto recognized,Just use in-built network configuration settings. It works by default on Ubuntu Mate Release 15.04 (Kernel Linux 3.18.0-20-rpi2). Works great on OSMC. Works in ArchLinux.
moOde 7.0.1 uses stock RaspiOS Buster Lite 2020-12-02 (10.6) and Linux kernel 5.4.77 build #1371. The issue you are describing should be posted on one of those repos.
Enjoy the Music!
Thank you, will do. I also have some questions regarding Bluetooth and UPnP streaming from my Windows PC, should I create separate threads for each or post everything here?
Yes, each distinct issue should have its own thread. This makes it much easier for people to help out.
Enjoy the Music!
(01-25-2021, 04:52 PM)abhiroopd Wrote: OK, thank you. My WiFi works fine with the Raspberry OS though(also OSMC, picoreplayer, Volumio, etc). 
Here is my adapter as cited in https://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters

Code:
Leoxsys
Leoxsys LEO-NANO150N USB Adapter,tested on Raspbmc,Auto recognized,Just use in-built network configuration settings. It works by default on Ubuntu Mate Release 15.04 (Kernel Linux 3.18.0-20-rpi2). Works great on OSMC. Works in ArchLinux.

This is an old product. I see posts to the Raspberry Pi Forum dated 5 years ago mentioning the problem, which presumably got addressed but I have no interest in chasing it down.

The information on elinux.org is varying in quality. Have you actually tried this adapter with the current Raspberry Pi OS?

Current Volumio (2.861-2020-12-22-pi) is running kernel 4.19.118-v7l+ #1311. It may well be that a driver fell off the end of the wagon as the OS moved to kernel 5.x.

Just filling in a few blank spaces in the record....

Regards,
Kent