Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

[SOLVED] Bug in managing several thumbnails cover art
Hello,

It's seems moOde is not managing cover art as it should.
Some of my songs have a back and a front cover, that are correctly manage by others softwares, but not by moOde.
It seems to display the first image found in the file, but sometimes it is the back cover (ex: EasyTag display 2 covers for a song : back (first) and front (second), but identifies it as the back cover and front cover, whereas moOde displays back cover...)

Is moOde using ID3v2.3.0 standard ?

Code:
<Header for 'Attached picture', ID: "APIC">
Text encoding   $xx
MIME type       <text string> $00
Picture type    $xx
Description     <text string according to encoding> $00 (00)
Picture data    <binary data>

Picture type:

Code:
(...)
$00     Other
$01     32x32 pixels 'file icon' (PNG only)
$02     Other file icon
$03     Cover (front)
$04     Cover (back)
(...)

Thanks for you help
Have a nice week-end

Best regards
Alain
I would say, rather, that moOde doesn't handle cover art as thoroughly as it could.

Keep in mind that Id3V2.3 is not a formal standard but an informal specification, no matter what its authors call it. Implementors support some parts, ignore others, and corrupt their usage of it as they see fit, since there is no recognized organization which certifies products against it.

Secondly, the Id3 world is only a subset of the metadata markup world. Don't discount Vorbis/Comments, used in FLAC files, or ISO14496, used in MP4 files, and there are others.

Basically, for embedded images the existing moOde code (/var/www/coverart.php) uses PHP library routines to extract the first image they find in an audio file. In most cases I've seen, there is only one embedded image and it is the front cover artwork for the album. I think, historically at least, there has been pressure not to stuff too much imagery into MP3 files in order to keep the file size down.

I'm sure Tim would consider a PR from some enterprising developer which forces the moOde routine to take only the front cover image assuming it has been so identified.

And let's never forget my favorite Id3V2.3 Picture Type: $11, which is a "bright colored fish".

Regards,
Kent
moOde uses the Zend media class library for embedded cover art and this lib supports extracting a single cover image which IME is the most common case. Its also the only library that I know of that handles M4A (AAC/ALAC) format in addition to MP3 and FLAC.

Maybe there is setting in tagging utility to have it put the front cover first?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Thanks for your explanations, I appreciate a lot.

It's not a big issue for me.

Best regards
Alain